Can my cup hold more tea on the moon?

• Thread starter Dadface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moon
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of filling a cup to the brim with tea on both Earth and the moon. It was noted that on the moon, due to a smaller radius, the volume of tea would be larger. The conversation then delved into factors that could affect this, such as evaporation, expansion/contraction, and surface tension edge effects. Ultimately, it was concluded that if the sides of the cup are angled, more tea can be fit in regardless of the force of gravity.
Dadface
If I fill my cup to the brim on Earth the surface of the tea is spherical and concentric with the Earth's centre.It's like a mini ocean of tea.If I do the same thing on the moon my mini ocean of tea has a smaller radius and therefore a larger volume.Discounting evaporation,expansion/contraction and surface tension edge effects is there a flaw in my reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dadface! :smile:
Dadface said:
If I fill my cup to the brim on Earth the surface of the tea is spherical and concentric with the Earth's centre.It's like a mini ocean of tea.If I do the same thing on the moon my mini ocean of tea has a smaller radius and therefore a larger volume.Discounting evaporation,expansion/contraction and surface tension edge effects is there a flaw in my reasoning?

Yes, if the sides of the cup are angled so that the meniscus (the slope of the liquid where it touches the cup) is horizontal, then the centre of the surface will be above the level of the rim, and you can fit more in if the radius is smaller (and independently of g). :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Dadface! :smile:

Yes, if the sides of the cup are angled so that the meniscus (the slope of the liquid where it touches the cup) is horizontal, then the centre of the surface will be above the level of the rim, and you can fit more in if the radius is smaller (and independently of g). :smile:

Thanks for confirming that tiny-tim.Now I fancy a nice cuppa.:tongue:

1. Can a cup hold more tea on the moon compared to Earth?

Yes, a cup can hold more tea on the moon compared to Earth. This is because the force of gravity on the moon is about one-sixth of the force of gravity on Earth. This means that objects on the moon weigh less and take up more space, allowing the cup to hold more tea.

2. Will the tea behave differently in the cup on the moon?

Yes, the tea will behave differently in the cup on the moon. The lower gravity on the moon means that the liquid will be less dense and will have a lower boiling point. This can cause the tea to boil and evaporate more quickly compared to on Earth.

3. How much tea can a cup hold on the moon?

The amount of tea a cup can hold on the moon will depend on the size and shape of the cup. However, due to the lower gravity, the cup will be able to hold more tea compared to on Earth. It is estimated that a cup on the moon could hold up to six times the amount of tea it can hold on Earth.

4. Will the tea taste different on the moon?

Yes, the tea may taste different on the moon due to the lower gravity and different boiling point. The lower boiling point can lead to the tea brewing at a different temperature, potentially affecting the taste. Additionally, the lower gravity may also affect the way the tea mixes with water and other ingredients.

5. Can I spill my tea easier on the moon?

Yes, it will be easier to spill your tea on the moon compared to Earth. This is due to the lower gravity, which means objects are more likely to be lifted and moved by small forces. Additionally, the lower density of the liquid may make it easier for the tea to splash out of the cup.