Can period of such signal be found.

In summary, the period of two signals added together will be the same as the lowest frequency signal if their periods have a whole number ratio to each other. To find the period, it is helpful to use voltage instead of current and draw the waveforms on paper or use a tool like LTSpice. Using graph paper can also be useful in understanding the relationship between the two signals.
John Atkinson
How to find the period of two signals added for example:
if f= s1+s2 where s1 is a squre wave of (+ -) 1 A, period √6 secs and s2 is a square wave of (+ -) 1 A, period 1/√6 secs.

Is this signal periodic if not why?

Can anyone let me know about some link where I can learn all the examples of such type.

Engineering news on Phys.org
]The signals will have a repeating (periodic) pattern if their periods are in a whole number ratio to each other.

So, you have a ratio of √6 divided by 1/√6. That is √6 times √6. Or 6.

It is easier to work this out if you use voltage instead of current. To add voltages, you can just put two voltage generators in series.

However this seems like homework, so you need to make an effort to do some of it yourself. (Them's the rules!)

I suggest you get a free copy of LTSpice and use this to work out these oddball problems.

There will be one square wave that is faster than the other.
So draw it out on paper.
The slower square wave goes to 1 volt and then has the faster one imposed on it, so the result is a sqaure wave between 0 volts and 2 volts.
Then the slow wave goes to -1 volt and the same thing happens, except from -2 volts to zero volts.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/2%20sq%20waves.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
vk6kro said:
]The signals will have a repeating (periodic) pattern if their periods are in a whole number ratio to each other.

So, you have a ratio of √6 divided by 1/√6. That is √6 times √6. Or 6.

It is easier to work this out if you use voltage instead of current. To add voltages, you can just put two voltage generators in series.

However this seems like homework, so you need to make an effort to do some of it yourself. (Them's the rules!)

I suggest you get a free copy of LTSpice and use this to work out these oddball problems.

There will be one square wave that is faster than the other.
So draw it out on paper.
The slower square wave goes to 1 volt and then has the faster one imposed on it, so the result is a sqaure wave between 0 volts and 2 volts.
Then the slow wave goes to -1 volt and the same thing happens, except from -2 volts to zero volts.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/2%20sq%20waves.PNG

It is not HW it is just one of the questions in class presentations for which I am curious to know how to find the period of the signal theoretically. Can you suggest me some book.

As you suggested about the signal to be voltage can you explain the same assuming it to be voltage. How to find the period as I want to clear my doubts.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Atkinson said:
It is not HW it is just one of the questions in class presentations for which I am curious to know how to find the period of the signal theoretically. Can you suggest me some book.

As you suggested about the signal to be voltage can you explain the same assuming it to be voltage. How to find the period as I want to clear my doubts.

If you look at the diagram above, you will see that the period is the same as that of the lowest frequency square wave.

Once you establish that the two waveforms have a whole number relationship, then you can say this.

I can't suggest a book, but I think a piece of graph paper would be more useful.
Just draw the two waveforms and then go along and add them to get a graph like the one above.

1. What is the period of a signal?

The period of a signal refers to the time it takes for the signal to complete one full cycle. It is typically measured in seconds.

2. How can I determine the period of a signal?

The period of a signal can be determined by analyzing its waveform and identifying the time it takes for the signal to repeat itself.

3. Can the period of a signal be different for different types of signals?

Yes, the period of a signal can vary depending on the type of signal. For example, a sound wave may have a different period than an electromagnetic wave.

4. Why is it important to know the period of a signal?

Knowing the period of a signal can provide valuable information about the frequency and characteristics of the signal, which can be useful in a variety of fields such as communication, engineering, and physics.

5. Is it possible to find the period of a signal with complex or irregular waveforms?

Yes, it is possible to find the period of a signal with complex or irregular waveforms by using mathematical and analytical techniques such as Fourier analysis.