Can polyester resin eventually cure if it was too cold at first?

• Thread starter mess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary: It will continue to smell for quite a while. If it smells different to plain resin, then it is reacting, and you did remember to put the catalyst in. The smell will permeate grains, flour and similar products.
mess
TL;DR Summary
I mixed polyester resin in around 5°C and overnight it went to -10, and for the next few days it was too cold to cure.
I finally brought in a heater and kept it at about 30C for 3 hours. It still smells like uncured offgassing. Will it ever cure or did the freezing/prolonged cold ruin it and i have to remove it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I also left the catalyst and resin outside in below freezing temperature, is there a chance i damaged it?

mess said:
I also left the catalyst and resin outside in below freezing temperature, is there a chance i damaged it?
No. You preserved it.
The problem with cold resin is mixing the catalyst into the thick cold resin. Poor mixing requires longer for the catalyst to diffuse or migrate through the mix. Diffusion is very poor at low temperatures. The heat generated by the reaction will accelerate the reaction, unless that heat is rapidly lost to a cold environment, in which case you must wait for the environment to warm.
I once waited for a week during a cold snap for polyester resin to set. It took another week before I could remove it from the mold.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and jedishrfu
Baluncore said:
No. You preserved it.
The problem with cold resin is mixing the catalyst into the thick cold resin. Poor mixing requires longer for the catalyst to diffuse or migrate through the mix. Diffusion is very poor at low temperatures. The heat generated by the reaction will accelerate the reaction, unless that heat is rapidly lost to a cold environment, in which case you must wait for the environment to warm.
I once waited for a week during a cold snap for polyester resin to set. It took another week before I could remove it from the mold.

Its been about 3 weeks now and it still stinks :/ I've since put a IR heat lamp on it for about 12 hours total, with no change in smell. it smells like freshly mixed resin, not as strong, but it still smells when i go up close to it.

Has it gelled yet, or does it still flow? Is it like rubber?

It will continue to smell for quite a while. If it smells different to plain resin, then it is reacting, and you did remember to put the catalyst in. The smell will permeate grains, flour and similar products.

What is the size and shape of the item? If it is a thin laminate it will reflect or radiate as much heat as you can provide. Maybe you need to make a polythene tunnel or tent, supported by hoops or wires. Use a fan heater and circulate air continuously throughout the chamber. Maintain a stable 20°C for 6 hours.

Just an idea. You have tried IR, but you might benefit from “UV grow lights”. Catalyst reacts very rapidly in direct sunlight due to the UV.

1. Can polyester resin cure in cold temperatures?

Polyester resin requires a minimum temperature of 60°F (16°C) to properly cure. If the temperature is too cold, the curing process will be significantly slowed down or may not occur at all.

2. How long does it take for polyester resin to cure in cold temperatures?

The curing time for polyester resin in cold temperatures can vary depending on the specific resin and hardener used, as well as the temperature and humidity of the environment. In general, it can take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours for the resin to fully cure in cold temperatures.

3. What happens if polyester resin is exposed to cold temperatures during the curing process?

If polyester resin is exposed to cold temperatures during the curing process, it can result in a weak and brittle final product. This is because the cold temperature slows down the curing process, preventing the resin from fully bonding and hardening.

4. Can I speed up the curing process of polyester resin in cold temperatures?

Yes, it is possible to speed up the curing process of polyester resin in cold temperatures by using a heat source such as a heat gun or a heat lamp. However, it is important to carefully monitor the temperature and avoid overheating the resin, as this can also result in a weak and brittle final product.

5. Is it possible to cure polyester resin in cold temperatures without a heat source?

In most cases, it is not recommended to try to cure polyester resin in cold temperatures without a heat source. However, some specialized resins may have a lower minimum curing temperature and may be able to cure in colder temperatures. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for best results.