Can somebody help me with this energy problem

• Thread starter jfbueno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the horizontal distance a block will travel after being launched off a spring. The spring has a spring constant of 1100 N/m and is compressed 16.0 cm. The block weighs 200g and the surface is frictionless, but there is a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.180 on the incline. The conversation discusses using a combination of energy methods and projectile motion kinematics to solve the problem. It is suggested to find the velocity of the block at the top of the incline, then use it to solve for the horizontal distance it will travel. Different equations and variables are discussed, such as work, force of friction, and the angle of the incline. The
jfbueno
The spring in the figure has a spring constant of 1100 N/m. It is compressed 16.0 cm, then launches a 200g block. The horizontal surface is frictionless, but the block's coefficient of kinetic friction on the incline is 0.180. What distance D does the block sail through the air?

heres a picture that should help.

Attachments

• knight_Figure_11_72.jpg
    knight_Figure_11_72.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Well? Show your work and indicate where you got stuck.

Hint: Use a combination of energy methods and projectile motion kinematics.

Well, I first tried to use work and kinetic friction to find the horizontal distance of the hill however once I reached to the end of my calculations I figured that what I was doing found the the entire distance that the block travels. So then I tried using the conservation of energy to find the velocity of the block at the top of the hill but I don't know how to incorporate the coefficient of friction into that equation.

I figure that If i can find the velocity of the block at the top of the hill then the rest of the problem is cake with kinematics

jfbueno said:
So then I tried using the conservation of energy to find the velocity of the block at the top of the hill but I don't know how to incorporate the coefficient of friction into that equation.
Figure out the force of friction and then the work the friction does on the block as the block slides up the incline.

Would the distance I use for W=Fd in this equation be the horizontal or vertical distance. Because if its the vertical distance then i can solve for v but if its the horizontal then i have 2 variables in my equation.

jfbueno said:
Would the distance I use for W=Fd in this equation be the horizontal or vertical distance.
What direction does the block move?
Because if its the vertical distance then i can solve for v but if its the horizontal then i have 2 variables in my equation.
You're given the angle of the incline.

Ok, I found the velocity of the block at the top of the incline. Which kinematic equation and in which direction should i start?

From the moment the block shoots off the incline, it's a projectile motion problem. You have the initial speed and direction.

I have the same problem on my physics homework, the only difference is that the spring constant is 1300, the spring is compressed 14cm and the coefficient kinetic friction is .22.

I found the velocity to be 11.225 m/s

I know W=FD = (F*uk)D = mgcos45*uk*h/cos45 =mgh*uk = .8624

I tried to read over the help given already but I really don't understand what to do, is there any further help anyone can give me??

julz3216 said:
I have the same problem on my physics homework, the only difference is that the spring constant is 1300, the spring is compressed 14cm and the coefficient kinetic friction is .22.

I found the velocity to be 11.225 m/s

I know W=FD = (F*uk)D = mgcos45*uk*h/cos45 =mgh*uk = .8624

I tried to read over the help given already but I really don't understand what to do, is there any further help anyone can give me??
Now find the block's speed at the top of the ramp, as it shoots into the air. Then use that to determine the horizontal distance it flies before hitting the ground.

1. What is an energy problem?

An energy problem refers to a situation where there is a lack of sufficient energy to meet the needs or demands of a system or process. This can include issues such as energy shortages, inefficient energy use, or difficulties in obtaining or storing energy.

2. How can somebody help with an energy problem?

There are a variety of ways that someone can help with an energy problem. This can include providing technical expertise, offering financial assistance, implementing energy efficiency measures, or developing renewable energy sources.

3. Who can help with an energy problem?

There are many individuals and organizations that can help with an energy problem. This can include scientists, engineers, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and even individuals through their own actions and choices.

4. What are some common causes of energy problems?

There are several factors that can contribute to energy problems, including population growth, rising energy demands, reliance on non-renewable energy sources, inadequate infrastructure, and climate change.

5. How can we prevent energy problems in the future?

To prevent energy problems in the future, we can take a variety of actions such as promoting energy efficiency, investing in renewable energy sources, developing more sustainable energy policies, and reducing our overall energy consumption.