Can someone check this limit please

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation involves finding the limit of a given expression and using various methods to solve it, including Taylor series, L'Hôpital's rule, and trigonometric identities. The final conclusion is that the limit is equal to 0, but it is important to distinguish between the value of an expression and the value of the limit of that expression.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

find the limit of:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{1-cos(2x)}{tan(x)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{1-cos(2x)}{tan(x)}=\frac{1-1-\frac{x^{2}}{2}}{tan(x)}=0[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
if you're talking about using taylor expansions, then you should do the same thing for tan(x) to show its behaviour in the limit, and your expnasion is not correct due to the 2 in cos(2x)

however as this is 0/0 indeterminate I think you should use L'Hopital (which is in essence a similar thing)

Last edited:
you are doing right

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

find the limit of:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{1-cos(2x)}{tan(x)}=\frac{1-1-\frac{x^{2}}{2}}{tan(x)}=0[/tex]
That should be
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-\cos(2x)}{\tan(x)}=\frac{1-\left(1-\frac{(2x)^{2}}{2}+\dots\right)}{\tan(x)}=\frac{1-1+\frac{(2x)^{2}}{2}-\dots}{\tan(x)}[/itex]​

You can do this without using L'Hôpital's rule or Taylor series.

Start with cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin2(x) and 1/tan(x) = cos(x)/sin(x) .

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

find the limit of:

The lim symbol should remain until you actually take the limit. In the expression in the middle, above, the denominator is 0, so you can't conclude that the limit is zero.
kushan said:
you are doing right
See above.

SammyS said:
That should be
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1-\cos(2x)}{\tan(x)}=\frac{1-\left(1-\frac{(2x)^{2}}{2}+\dots\right)}{\tan(x)}=\frac{1-1+\frac{(2x)^{2}}{2}-\dots}{\tan(x)}[/itex]​

You can do this without using L'Hôpital's rule or Taylor series.

Start with cos(2x) = 1 - 2sin2(x) and 1/tan(x) = cos(x)/sin(x) .
This is definitely the way to go.

Mark44 said:
This is definitely the way to go.

after doing that i got:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{-sin^{2}(x)*cos(x)}{sin(x)}=-sin(x)*cos(x)=-sin(0)*cos(0)=0*1=0[/tex]

Is that correct?

mtayab1994 said:
after doing that i got:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow0}\frac{-sin^{2}(x)*cos(x)}{sin(x)}=-sin(x)*cos(x)=-sin(0)*cos(0)=0*1=0[/tex]

Is that correct?
No. How did you get from (1 - cos(2x))/tan(x) to (-sin2(x)cos(x))/sin(x)? Show us what you did to get that.

Also, the lim symbol needs to appear until you actually take the limit. In other words, as long as x is still in any expression, you haven't takent the limit.

Mark44 said:
No. How did you get from (1 - cos(2x))/tan(x) to (-sin2(x)cos(x))/sin(x)? Show us what you did to get that.

Also, the lim symbol needs to appear until you actually take the limit. In other words, as long as x is still in any expression, you haven't takent the limit.

Well, i replaces 1-cos(2x) with 1-1-sin^2(x) and the bottom from tan(x) to sin(x)/cos(x)

Then i removed the denominator by 1/tan(x).

mtayab1994 said:
Well, i replaces 1-cos(2x) with 1-1-sin^2(x) and the bottom from tan(x) to sin(x)/cos(x)
You have two mistakes. That should be 1 - (1 - 2sin2(x)).
mtayab1994 said:
Then i removed the denominator by 1/tan(x).

alright and for the denominator should i do tanx=sinx/cosx?

Ok i got (2sin^2(x)*cos(x))/(sin(x))

then i canceled out with the sine and i was left with 2sinx*cosx which then equals 0 is that correct?

mtayab1994 said:
alright and for the denominator should i do tanx=sinx/cosx?
Yes.
mtayab1994 said:
Ok i got (2sin^2(x)*cos(x))/(sin(x))

then i canceled out with the sine and i was left with 2sinx*cosx which then equals 0 is that correct?
2sin(x)cos(x) doesn't equal 0, but the limit as x approaches 0 of this expression is 0.

In other words,
2sin(x)cos(x) ≠ 0, but [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} 2sin(x)cos(x) = 0[/itex]. There's a difference here.

Mark44 said:
Yes.
2sin(x)cos(x) doesn't equal 0, but the limit as x approaches 0 of this expression is 0.

In other words,
2sin(x)cos(x) ≠ 0, but [itex]\lim_{x \to 0} 2sin(x)cos(x) = 0[/itex]. There's a difference here.

Yea sorry i didn't write, that but is what i did correct?

Last edited:
mtayab1994 said:
Yea sorry i didn't right that but is what i did correct?
The value of the limit is 0, but what you wrote is not correct.
mtayab1994 said:
i was left with 2sinx*cosx which then equals 0
Again, 2sinx * cosx ≠ 0, in general.

Mark44 said:
The value of the limit is 0, but what you wrote is not correct.

Again, 2sinx * cosx ≠ 0, in general.

I don't get it what's wrong with that. Isn't the limit as x approaches 0 of 2sinx*cosx=0?

mtayab1994 said:
I don't get it what's wrong with that. Isn't the limit as x approaches 0 of 2sinx*cosx=0?
Yes, but what you said didn't include the word "limit," so isn't true.

True:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}~2sin(x)cos(x) = 0[/tex]
False:
2sin(x)cos(x) = 0

I'm am trying to get you to distinguish between the value of an expression and the value of the limit of that expression.

Do you see the difference now?

Mark44 said:
Yes, but what you said didn't include the word "limit," so isn't true.

True:
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}~2sin(x)cos(x) = 0[/tex]
False:
2sin(x)cos(x) = 0

I'm am trying to get you to distinguish between the value of an expression and the value of the limit of that expression.

Do you see the difference now?

Yes thank you I appreciate it :smile:.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence as the input or index becomes infinitely large or infinitely small.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can either use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and canceling, or you can use graphical techniques such as looking at the behavior of the function on a graph or using a table of values. You can also use calculus techniques such as differentiation and integration to find limits.

3. What is the purpose of checking a limit?

The purpose of checking a limit is to understand the behavior of a function or sequence as the input or index approaches a certain value. It can help us determine the continuity, differentiability, and convergence of a function or sequence, and it is also essential in many applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can a limit not exist?

Yes, a limit can sometimes not exist. This can happen when the function has a vertical asymptote, when the right-hand and left-hand limits approach different values, or when the function oscillates between two values as the input approaches a certain value. In these cases, we say that the limit does not exist.

5. Why is it important to check a limit?

Checking a limit is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function or sequence in different scenarios. It helps us determine the continuity and differentiability of a function, which are crucial concepts in calculus. It also helps us make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.