Can someone help me calculate time to arrival based on position and velocity?

• Thread starter zero_sum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, The person is trying to estimate the time it takes to travel from one state to another, given a distance, velocities at each point, and maximum acceleration and deceleration forces. They are currently trying to determine the time it takes to travel the distance by splitting it into an acceleration and deceleration phase and solving for the duration of the acceleration phase. They are also seeking input on their approach.
zero_sum
Hi everyone :)

Starting off with a really simple question I'm seemingly too stupid to solve:

For a heuristic measurement I need to estimate the time it takes to get from one state (position and velocity) to another (different position and velocity). Neglecting things like speed limits, orientation, and rotational velocity (which I intend to bring in later) I came up with this basic first problem:

Given:
- a distance between two points (p0 and p1) in space, s.
- a velocity at p0, v0
- a velocity at p1, v1
- a maximum acceleration force a and a maximum deceleration force d

So from this, one can generate the time/velocity diagram in the attached file.
Now I'm looking for the time it takes to travel s, t1-t0, or, as t0 = 0, just t1.

I started off with splitting the area into an acceleration phase (duration tA) and a deceleration phase (duration tD), and stating that the velocities at the point when acceleration switches to deceleration must be equal, i.e. v0 + a*tA = v1 + d * tD, solving for tA.

So next, as I need one more variable, I tried inserting tA into the general distance/velocity/acceleration equation

s(t) = a/2 * t2 + v0 * t

but then I lost it, somehow. I got a formula, but it generates different results if I swap (v0,a) and (v1,d) - though this should be symmetrical, as far as I understand...

Anyone there to enlighten me?

Attachments

• prob.png
    prob.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 386
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you trying to find the acceleration/deceleration profile that minimises the time of travel, or are there some other constraints perhaps?

Hi nmf77,

sooner or later, yes. Right now having acceleration and deceleration fixed at their maximum values will ensure the quickest traversal. So everything I listed as "given" is a constant.

Related to Can someone help me calculate time to arrival based on position and velocity?

1. How do you calculate time to arrival?

Time to arrival is calculated by dividing the distance to be traveled by the speed of the object in motion. This will give you the time it takes for the object to reach its destination.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of time to arrival calculations?

The accuracy of time to arrival calculations can be affected by factors such as changes in speed, external forces acting on the object, and errors in measurement or calculation.

3. Can time to arrival be calculated for objects moving at different speeds?

Yes, time to arrival can be calculated for objects moving at different speeds. The formula remains the same, but the time to arrival will vary depending on the speed of the object.

4. How can time to arrival be used in scientific research?

Time to arrival can be used in scientific research to predict the arrival of objects such as comets or spacecraft, to study the motion of celestial bodies, and to understand the effects of external forces on objects in motion.

5. Are there any limitations to using time to arrival calculations?

Yes, there are limitations to using time to arrival calculations. These include assumptions made in the calculations, uncertainties in measurement, and external factors that may affect the motion of the object. It is important to consider these limitations and use caution when interpreting results.