How Do I Rearrange I=K(cosØ)ⁿ Using Logarithms for Linearization?

• Thread starter MrW
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in rearranging the formula I=K(cosØ)ⁿ into a linear format (y=mx+c, y=mx) using logarithms. They mention that there is no linear format for the cos function and ask if anyone can help. Another individual responds and suggests taking the log on both sides and using a Taylor expansion to derive its series. They also provide the equation in the form of Y = C + nX. The original individual expresses gratitude and mentions that they will need to review the information to fully understand it. They also state that they need to plot some data with constants n and K into a graph, which should result in a straight line once rearranged.
MrW
Hi
i need to rearrange this formula

I=K(cosØ)ⁿ

in to linear format ( y=mx+c , y=mx)
and i need to use logs to do so which i have no idea about.
I understand the very basics of logs, even if someone could just give me a few clues how to work it out that would be great

can anyone help, will be v grateful

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
there is no "linear format" for the cos function. You could use taylor expansions to derive its series, but that's about it.

MrW,
are u working on some statistical data?

I = K (cos(phi))^n
Taking log on both sides,
log I = log K + nlog(cos(phi))

If u put Y = log I , X = log(cos(phi)) and C = log K,
the equation becomes,
Y = C +nX

-- AI

Hi
yes i am, thanks for your help. What you have said looks right ( as far as i know but i will need to look over it to get the undertanding.

I need to bascially put some data ( n and k are constants) into a graph which once rearranged should be a straight line.

thanks again

1. How do I solve this equation?

To solve an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equal sign by performing the same operation on both sides. For example, if you have 2x + 4 = 10, you can subtract 4 from both sides to get 2x = 6. Then, divide both sides by 2 to get x = 3. Remember to always perform the same operation on both sides of the equation.

2. What is the order of operations for solving equations?

The order of operations for solving equations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This means you should always start by simplifying any expressions inside parentheses, then evaluate any exponents, and finally perform multiplication and division before addition and subtraction.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving equations manually before relying on a calculator. Also, make sure to use a calculator that follows the correct order of operations to avoid getting incorrect answers.

4. How do I check if my solution to the equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, simply substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. For example, if you found x = 3 for the equation 2x + 4 = 10, you can plug in x = 3 and see if both sides of the equation are equal.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving equations quickly?

There are a few shortcuts and tricks that can help you solve equations quickly, such as using the distributive property, combining like terms, and factoring. However, it is important to understand the basic steps and concepts behind solving equations first before using shortcuts. Also, not all equations can be solved using shortcuts, so it is important to know how to solve equations manually as well.