Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone identify what this graph is used for?

1. Oct 26, 2016 #1
    Hi, I was asked by my senior to find out what this graph is and how to use it. No details were given as to where they found it.

I know already that this is used to compare CSTRs and PFRs performance for first order reactions, but I can't deduce what the expressions Dd/(vxL) and kL/vx are for and what the variables represent.

Thanks a lot!

graph.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3
    Hey, thanks for the response!

Yeah, I'm familiar with nomographs. I just can't determine what the variables in the graph represent.

But thanks a lot for this information! I really appreciate it!

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4
    This graph is for a tubular chemical reactor in which there is axial mixing/dispersion. The velocity profile is assumed to be flat. The reaction is assumed to be first order decay. The dimensionless group ##D_d/v_xL## is a measure of the axial dispersion, and is the inverse of the Peclet number. The dimensionless group ##kL/v_x## is the ratio of the residence time in the tube to the characteristic decay time for the reaction.

##D_d## = axial dispersion coefficient
    ##v_x## = axial velocity
    L = length of tube
    k = first order reaction rate constant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted