Can someone please explain magnetic pressure to me?

In summary, the conversation is about magnetic pressure and the difficulty in understanding it. The concept is related to J x B and is a manifestation of the Lorentz force. The person expressing confusion may need to read up on the Lorentz force to better understand its location and role in electromagnets.
Qaiphyx
I've read up on it, but i don't nessarily understand it. Can someone explain in simpler terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you read about magnetic pressure, and what seems to be difficult.

It's related to J x B, i.e. it's a manifestation of the Lorentz force.

Astronuc said:
What have you read about magnetic pressure, and what seems to be difficult.

It's related to J x B, i.e. it's a manifestation of the Lorentz force.

I suppose ill have to read up on lorentz force. I guess I just don't understand where it is. Is it IN the iron section of the electromagnet? Around it? I don't get it lol.

1. What is magnetic pressure?

Magnetic pressure is a force exerted by a magnetic field on a surface. It is similar to the pressure exerted by a gas or liquid, but in this case, it is caused by the magnetic field lines pushing against the surface.

2. How is magnetic pressure calculated?

Magnetic pressure is calculated using the formula P = B²/2μ, where B is the magnetic field strength and μ is the permeability of the medium (usually air). This equation shows that magnetic pressure increases with the square of the magnetic field strength.

3. What is the difference between magnetic pressure and magnetic force?

Magnetic pressure is a force per unit area, while magnetic force is the actual force experienced by an object in a magnetic field. Magnetic pressure can be thought of as the potential for magnetic force to act on a surface.

4. How does magnetic pressure affect objects?

Objects can experience a force when placed in a magnetic field due to magnetic pressure. The force will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the object's orientation and properties. For example, magnetic pressure can cause a magnet to repel or attract another magnet.

5. Can magnetic pressure be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, magnetic pressure can be controlled and manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field. This is often done in applications such as electromagnets, where the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted to exert a desired amount of pressure on an object.