Solved: Wavelength of Scattered Light After Photon-Electron Collision

• Thread starter Allan1993
  • Start date
In summary, the wavelength of scattered light after a photon-electron collision is determined by the incident photon's energy and the scattering angle, and can be calculated using the Compton scattering formula. It increases due to the transfer of energy from the photon to the electron, known as the Compton effect. The wavelength can be predicted using the Compton scattering formula and can be affected by factors such as the atomic structure and density of the material being scattered. It can be measured through techniques such as spectroscopy or diffraction.
Allan1993
Can someone please help me??

A photon collides with an electron and is scattered backwards so that it travels back along its original path. Describe and explain the expected wavelength of the scattered light.

Relevant equations: I'm not sure it's required here, this is more theory rather than calculations

I have no idea what this is on about so i haven't attempted the question. Sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org

If it's a high energy photon then I recommend looking into Compton scattering.

1. What is the wavelength of scattered light after a photon-electron collision?

The wavelength of scattered light after a photon-electron collision depends on the energy of the incident photon and the scattering angle. It can be calculated using the Compton scattering formula.

2. How does the wavelength of scattered light change in a photon-electron collision?

The wavelength of scattered light increases in a photon-electron collision due to the transfer of energy from the incident photon to the scattered electron. This is known as the Compton effect.

3. Can the wavelength of scattered light be predicted before a photon-electron collision occurs?

Yes, the wavelength of scattered light can be predicted using the Compton scattering formula, which takes into account the energy of the incident photon and the scattering angle.

4. What factors can affect the wavelength of scattered light in a photon-electron collision?

The energy of the incident photon and the scattering angle are the main factors that affect the wavelength of scattered light in a photon-electron collision. Other factors may include the atomic structure and density of the material being scattered, as well as any interactions with other particles.

5. How is the wavelength of scattered light measured in a photon-electron collision?

The wavelength of scattered light can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy or diffraction. These methods involve analyzing the scattered light and determining its wavelength based on its interaction with other materials or particles.