Can someone recommend me a 2nd year linear algebra textbook?

In summary, "Linear Algebra Done Right" is a highly recommended textbook for self-learning linear algebra, covering topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, orthogonality, and change of basis. It is suitable for all levels and is considered a favorite among readers. Another popular option is "Linear Algebra" by Friedberg et al., which is known for its theoretical approach and proofs. Both textbooks are highly recommended for the course "Linear Methods II" and its topics including vector spaces, subspaces, independence, basis and dimension, linear transformations, kernel and image, and more.
BingoGod
Can someone recommend me a 2nd year linear algebra textbook that is good for self-learning?

The course is linear methods II and the topics are:

Vector spaces, subspaces, independence, basis and dimension,
row and column space of a matrix, rank, applications.

Linear transformations, kernel and image, composition,
linear functionals, the double dual, transpose of a linear transformation.

Orthogonality, Gram-Schmidt process, orthogonal diagonalization and
least squares approximation, quadratic forms, SVD.

Change of basis.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1441924981/?tag=pfamazon01-20

This says "graduate mathematics" and "advanced linear algebra", but it's really good for any level. This is my all time favourite linear algebra book, it has anything you could possibly wish for in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0135367972/?tag=pfamazon01-20
pretty much everyone recommends this one. This was my favourite until I bumped into that roman book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387982582/?tag=pfamazon01-20
this is good if you haven't done "proof-based" theoretical linear algebra before

Thanks for the recommendations, I looked into Linear Algebra Done Right and I think that is the text for me

1. What is the best textbook for second year linear algebra?

The best textbook for second year linear algebra is subjective and depends on individual learning styles and preferences. However, some popular options include "Linear Algebra: Gateway to Mathematics" by Robert Messer and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler.

2. Can you recommend a beginner-friendly linear algebra textbook?

Yes, "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole is a great beginner-friendly textbook that introduces the key concepts of linear algebra in a clear and concise manner.

3. Are there any free online resources for learning linear algebra?

Yes, there are several free online resources available for learning linear algebra, such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Linear Algebra by Jim Hefferon.

4. What are some important topics that should be covered in a second year linear algebra textbook?

Some important topics that should be covered in a second year linear algebra textbook include vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, diagonalization, and inner product spaces.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand a second year linear algebra textbook?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand a second year linear algebra textbook. However, a solid understanding of basic algebra and calculus concepts is recommended.