1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone show the steps?

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    how to go from: [(1+n)^n]/n to: (1+1/n)^n ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not true.

4. Nov 9, 2005 #3
    Do you mean:

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^{n}=\lim_{n\to 0}\left(1+n\right)^{\frac{1}{n}}.[/tex]

5. Nov 9, 2005 #4
    [​IMG]
    You can check if you can get to a another equation by substuting values into 'n'.
    Regards,
    Sam

6. Nov 9, 2005 #5
    Well, that doesn't always work (checking by substituting values). It's easy enough to show using algebra rules anyways.

7. Nov 9, 2005 #6
    Its true that it doesn't always work, but it is a quick method of proving something doesn't equate.

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7
    Sorry, that's what I meant. Can you show me how you get to the right hand expression?

9. Nov 11, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you realize you're asking for someone to explain why (1+2)/2 = 1/2 +2/2, or more generally that (a+b)/c = (a/c)+(b/c), which is something you learn in primary/elementary school, right?

10. Nov 11, 2005 #9
    Oh, dear god... I can't believe I could be THAT silly :bugeye:

Of course I see it, my incredible dull brain was confused by the n's, probably.

Anyways, sorry for bothering you with this. That was rather embarrassing...

11. Nov 14, 2005 #10

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You just got grimed! :surprised Ouch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?