Can someone tell me if this makes sense? (Equalities question)

• Thread starter AnInsect
  • Start date
And yes, you are right, the conclusion is a bit redundant since it's already implied by the statements given. But as you said, the journey is more important than the destination!
AnInsect
x>or=y
y>or=x
x=y+z
y=x+z

y=y+z+z
0=2z
0=z

x=y+z
x=y+0
x=y

I think what I just said is that if x is greater than y and y is greater than x, they must be greater than each other by zero, thus proving they are equal. It also works if x is greater than y by z and y is greater than x by say q (though in the end both q and z are zero).

Does this make any sense?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
AnInsect said:
x>y
y>x
x=y+z
y=x+z

y=y+z+z
0=2z
0=z

x=y+z
x=y+0
x=y

I think what I just said is that if x is greater than y and y is greater than x, they must be greater than each other by zero, thus proving they are equal. It also works if x is greater than y by z and y is greater than x by say q (though in the end both q and z are zero).

Does this make any sense?

x > y precludes x = y by convention. So x > y and y > x is a logical contradiction, if by '<' you intend the usual meaning.

Your conclusion is valid if you use the symbol '[itex]\leq[/itex]' which means "less than or equal to." In that case x [itex]\leq[/itex] y and y [itex]\leq[/itex] x do indeed imply that x = y. However I'm a little confused by your proof. What is z, is it supposed to be a constant? You essentially have the right idea but you need to make it a little more clear.

Last edited:
^Thank you for the clarification! I noticed that too, but then it sort of makes the entire thing redundant doesn't it? Ah well, journey's better than the destination I guess.

^z is any real number. You know, just a variable representing the difference between x and y.

1. What is the purpose of asking someone if an equalities question makes sense?

The purpose of asking someone if an equalities question makes sense is to ensure that the question is clear and understandable. It is important to have a clear understanding of the question in order to accurately interpret and analyze the data.

2. How can I determine if my equalities question makes sense?

To determine if your equalities question makes sense, you can ask someone else to read it and explain it back to you. This will help you identify any areas that may be unclear or confusing. Additionally, you can review the logical structure of the question and make sure each part is necessary and relevant to the overall question.

3. Is it important for an equalities question to make sense?

Yes, it is important for an equalities question to make sense. A poorly worded or confusing question can lead to incorrect interpretations and conclusions when analyzing the data. It is crucial to have a clear and precise question in order to obtain accurate results.

4. What should I do if someone tells me that my equalities question does not make sense?

If someone tells you that your equalities question does not make sense, you should ask them to explain why and where they see the confusion. This will help you identify areas that need clarification. You can also try rephrasing the question or breaking it down into smaller, more specific questions.

5. Are there any resources available for creating clear and understandable equalities questions?

Yes, there are many resources available for creating clear and understandable equalities questions. You can consult with a statistician or research methods textbook for guidance on how to structure your question. Additionally, there are online tutorials and workshops that can provide tips and techniques for creating effective questions.