Can the 'Almost Reimann Integral' be Recovered Using Pinsky's Textbook?

• Thread starter confinement
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Applications to Engineering and Physics.In summary, the author is trying to show that a certain sum rigorously tends to a Reimann integral, but he has a certain sticking point. He considers the function sin(k), and defines a partition of the positive half of the real line by the points n pi / L. Then the mesh of the partition is pi / L. To deal with the constants define c_n = c(n pi x / L) = c(k_n). Then each term in the sequence is \frac{c(k_n) k_n^{-1/2}\sin(k_n)\sqrt{\pi x}}{L} which should give you
confinement
I am trying to show that a certain sum rigorously tends to a Reimann integral, but I have a certain sticking point that you will find below.

[tex]S = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} c_n \phi_n[/tex]

[tex]
\phi_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L})
[/tex]

In this case the c_n can be assumed to be such that the series converges. Basically I want to show that the limit of S as L goes to infinity is a Reimann integral by definition. We have:

[tex]\lim_{L\to\infty}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}} c_n \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{L})[/tex]

consider the function sin(k), and define a partition of the positive half of the real line by the points n pi / L. Then the mesh of the partition is pi / L. To deal with the constants define c_n = c(n pi x / L) = c(k_n). Then we have:

[tex]\lim_{L\to\infty}\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} c(k_n)\sin(k_n) \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}[/tex]

This is almost a Reimann integral by definition, we have an infinite sum of values of a function multiplied by something small, and the mesh of the partition of points is going to zero, the problem is that the mesh of the partition is [itex]\Delta k_n = \pi / L [/itex], not the [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}[/itex] that I have. The constant factor is obviously not a problem, but I cannot pretend that L and sqrt(L) are the same for this purpose. Is there anyway to recover, or does this 'almost integral' correspond to anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it not be much easier to treat it like a Fourier series? :-) (Mind you, I haven't tried so I don't know)
Anywho I got a little confused when reading because you went from talking about sums of [tex]\sin(n\pi x/L)[/tex] terms to [tex]\sin(n\pi/L)[/tex], i.e. the value of the whole thing at 1. Anyway, assuming [tex]k_n=n\pi x/L[/tex] define [tex]c(k_n)=c_n\sqrt{n}[/tex], then each term in the sequence is

[tex]\frac{c(k_n) k_n^{-1/2}\sin(k_n)\sqrt{\pi x}}{L}[/tex]

which should give you an integral.. proving its existence might be tricky.. but you pays your money you takes your choice.

Try the textbook by Pinsky: Partial Differential Equations and Boundary-Value Problems

Related to Can the 'Almost Reimann Integral' be Recovered Using Pinsky's Textbook?

What is an Almost Reimann Integral?

An Almost Reimann Integral is a type of integral that is closely related to the Riemann Integral. It is used to approximate the Riemann Integral for certain types of functions that do not meet the criteria for a traditional Riemann Integral.

How is an Almost Reimann Integral different from a Riemann Integral?

An Almost Reimann Integral differs from a Riemann Integral in that it allows for a wider range of functions to be integrated. In a Riemann Integral, the function must be continuous and bounded, whereas in an Almost Reimann Integral, the function can have a finite number of discontinuities and still be integrated.

What types of functions can be integrated using an Almost Reimann Integral?

An Almost Reimann Integral can be used for functions that are piecewise continuous, meaning they have a finite number of discontinuities, or for functions that are not bounded but have a finite number of points of discontinuity.

How is an Almost Reimann Integral calculated?

The calculation for an Almost Reimann Integral is similar to that of a Riemann Integral, but it takes into account the points of discontinuity. The integral is divided into subintervals, and the function is evaluated at each point within each subinterval. The sum of these evaluations is then used to approximate the integral.

What are the applications of using an Almost Reimann Integral?

One of the main applications of an Almost Reimann Integral is in the field of signal processing, where functions are often not continuous but still need to be integrated. It is also useful in areas such as economics and physics, where functions may have a finite number of discontinuities but still need to be analyzed using integrals.