Can the Alternating Series Test Prove Divergence?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the series \sum^{∞}_{n=1}(-1)^{n} diverges. It is suggested to use an ε-δ proof or the Nth term test for divergence. The plan is to show that the sequence of partial sums does not converge.
Bipolarity
Prove that [tex] \sum^{∞}_{n=1}(-1)^{n} [/tex] diverges.

I realized that the alternating series test can only be used for convergence and not necessarily for divergence. I might have to apply a ε-δ proof (Yikes!) which I have never been good at so please help me out.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the sequence of terms?

Hmm good point. If we can prove the sequence does not converge to 0, we have proved that the series diverges. How can we do that? Shall I look at the limit definition and look for an ε that invokes a necessary contradiction?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Hmm good point. If we can prove the sequence does not converge to 0, we have proved that the series diverges. How can we do that? Shall I look at the limit definition and look for an ε that invokes a necessary contradiction?

Yep, looks like a good plan. Try to do that.

Bipolarity said:
Look at the Nth term test for divergence.

Seems to me the simplest thing to do is to show that the sequence of "partial sums",
[itex]S_n= \sum_{i= 1}^n (-1)^n[/itex]
does not converge.

Related to Can the Alternating Series Test Prove Divergence?

What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series in which the terms alternate in sign, either positive or negative. For example, an alternating series can be written as 1-2+3-4+5-6+...

How do you determine if an alternating series converges or diverges?

To determine if an alternating series converges or diverges, you can use the Alternating Series Test. This test states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach 0 as n approaches infinity, then the series converges. If the terms do not approach 0, then the series diverges.

Can an alternating series converge even if the terms do not decrease in absolute value?

Yes, it is possible for an alternating series to converge even if the terms do not decrease in absolute value. The Alternating Series Test is only a sufficient condition for convergence, not a necessary one. There are other tests, such as the Ratio Test, that can be used to determine convergence or divergence of a series.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges when the absolute values of the terms are considered. Conditional convergence refers to a series that converges when the terms are considered without their signs. Alternating series can only have conditional convergence, as the series would diverge if the signs were ignored.

How can you approximate the sum of an alternating series?

To approximate the sum of an alternating series, you can use the Alternating Series Error Bound. This formula allows you to calculate an upper bound for the error in your approximation. The error bound decreases as the number of terms in the series increases, so adding more terms will give a more accurate approximation.