Given two vectors, find vector of the parallelogram height

In summary, to find the coordinates of the vector of the height of the parallelogram formed by vectors a={1, 2, 1} and b={2, -1, 0}, you can use the cross product of a and b to find the length of the height, and then use the dot product and projection of a onto b to find the coordinates of the vector.
AndrejN96

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of the vector of the height of the parallelogram formed by vectors a={1, 2, 1} and b={2, -1, 0}

Homework Equations

A=|axb|, A=|a|*h

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the intensity of the vector h i.e the length of the height, but not its vector. I know the dot product of a and h is zero, but that's it. I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
axb is orthogonal to both a and h, you can use this vector to find h.

##\vec p## is the projection of ##\vec a## onto the direction of ##\vec b## , and ##\vec h = \vec a - \vec p ##

heightpara.JPG

1. What is the formula for finding the height of a parallelogram given two vectors?

The formula for finding the height of a parallelogram using two vectors is to take the magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors and divide it by the magnitude of one of the vectors. This can also be written as the absolute value of the dot product of the two vectors divided by the magnitude of one of the vectors.

2. How do you find the cross product of two vectors?

To find the cross product of two vectors, you must first make sure that the two vectors are in the same three-dimensional space. Then, using the right-hand rule, you can take the determinant of a 3x3 matrix with the first row being the unit vectors i, j, and k and the second and third row being the components of the two vectors. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both vectors and can be used to find the height of the parallelogram.

3. Can the height of a parallelogram be negative?

Yes, the height of a parallelogram can be negative. This simply means that the two given vectors are pointing in opposite directions. The magnitude of the height will still be the same, but the direction will be opposite.

4. What if one of the vectors has a magnitude of zero?

If one of the vectors has a magnitude of zero, it means that the two vectors are parallel or one of the vectors is a zero vector. In this case, the height of the parallelogram will also be zero.

5. Can the height of a parallelogram be greater than the magnitude of the given vectors?

No, the height of a parallelogram can never be greater than the magnitude of the given vectors. This is because the height is calculated by taking the magnitude of the cross product, which will always be less than or equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors.