Can the Ground Temperature be Expressed in Terms of the Emission Temperature?

Do you know how to manipulate simultaneous equations? If you have two equations involving some variable x that you want to get rid of, get one of them into the form x=(some expression not involving x) and use that to substitute for x in the other equation.Edit:which equations should i use?I see that you only really have two equations. The third can be derived from the other two. That being so, it does not matter which two you use, the result should be the same. It also means you probably cannot eliminate both Ta and e, so just go for eliminating Ta and see what emerges.
il27

Homework Statement

:[/B]Use the energy balance equations you wrote down for the ground layer, the atmospheric layer, and the above the atmosphere layer (space) in part (a) to show that the ground temperature Tg can be expressed in terms of the emission temperature TE as follows:
$$ T_g = (2f)^.25T_E $$
and provide an algebraic expression for f .

Homework Equations

Ground equation:

$$ (1 - \alpha - a)\frac{f_0}{4} + e \sigma T_a^4 = \sigma T_g^4 $$

Layer:

$$ \frac{af_0}{4} + e \sigma T_g^4 = 2e \sigma T_a^4 $$Top of atmosphere:

$$ \frac{f_0}{4} = \frac{ \alpha f_0}{4} + (1-e) \sigma T_g^4 + e \sigma T_a^4 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding the layer and ground equation, and i ended up getting the top of atmosphere equation, but i am having trouble just manipulating the equations to get:$$ T_g = (2f)^.25T_E $$

Physics news on Phys.org
il27 said:

Homework Statement

:[/B]Use the energy balance equations you wrote down for the ground layer, the atmospheric layer, and the above the atmosphere layer (space) in part (a) to show that the ground temperature Tg can be expressed in terms of the emission temperature TE as follows:
$$ T_g = (2f)^.25T_E $$
and provide an algebraic expression for f .

Homework Equations

Ground equation:

$$ (1 - \alpha - a)\frac{f_0}{4} + e \sigma T_a^4 = \sigma T_g^4 $$

Layer:

$$ \frac{af_0}{4} + e \sigma T_g^4 = 2e \sigma T_a^4 $$Top of atmosphere:

$$ \frac{f_0}{4} = \frac{ \alpha f_0}{4} + (1-e) \sigma T_g^4 + e \sigma T_a^4 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding the layer and ground equation, and i ended up getting the top of atmosphere equation, but i am having trouble just manipulating the equations to get:$$ T_g = (2f)^.25T_E $$
None of the equations you quote mention TE. You need to involve a definition of that.

haruspex said:
None of the equations you quote mention TE. You need to involve a definition of that.

$$ T_E = (\frac{f_0}{4}(1 - \alpha))^.25 $$ is the emission temperature.

il27 said:
$$ T_E = (\frac{f_0}{4}(1 - \alpha))^.25 $$ is the emission temperature.
Try using your three given equations to eliminate Ta and e, then see what you have left.

haruspex said:
Try using your three given equations to eliminate Ta and e, then see what you have left.
should i add all the inputs of the 3 equations and then set them equal to all the outputs of the equation?
which equations should i use?

il27 said:
should i add all the inputs of the 3 equations and then set them equal to all the outputs of the equation?
Do you know how to manipulate simultaneous equations? If you have two equations involving some variable x that you want to get rid of, get one of them into the form x=(some expression not involving x) and use that to substitute for x in the other equation.

Edit:
il27 said:
I see that you only really have two equations. The third can be derived from the other two. That being so, it does not matter which two you use, the result should be the same. It also means you probably cannot eliminate both Ta and e, so just go for eliminating Ta and see what emerges.

Last edited:

Related to Can the Ground Temperature be Expressed in Terms of the Emission Temperature?

What is atmospheric energy balance?

Atmospheric energy balance refers to the balance between incoming energy from the sun and outgoing energy emitted from the Earth's atmosphere. This balance is essential for maintaining the Earth's temperature and climate.

What factors influence atmospheric energy balance?

There are several factors that influence atmospheric energy balance, including the amount of solar radiation received by the Earth, the composition of the atmosphere, and the reflectivity of the Earth's surface.

How does atmospheric energy balance affect the Earth's climate?

The balance of incoming and outgoing energy in the atmosphere plays a crucial role in determining the Earth's climate. When there is an imbalance in this energy, it can result in changes in temperature, weather patterns, and sea levels.

What are the consequences of an imbalance in atmospheric energy balance?

An imbalance in atmospheric energy balance can lead to a variety of consequences, including global warming, changes in precipitation patterns, and more frequent and severe weather events such as hurricanes and droughts.

How do scientists study atmospheric energy balance?

Scientists study atmospheric energy balance through a combination of satellite observations, ground-based measurements, and computer models. These tools allow them to track changes in energy fluxes and understand how they impact the Earth's climate.