Can the integer zeros for this diophantine equation be found?

• Thread starter 76Ahmad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the equation -15x^3+45x^2y-15xy^2+y^3+90x^2-210xy+40y^2-120x+184y = 0 can be reduced to the Weierstrass normal form y^2=x^3+ax^2+bx+c by using projective geometry. However, finding integer points on this type of plane curve, called an elliptic curve, is a difficult problem. A good book on the subject is "Rational points on Elliptic Curves" by Silverman and Tate.
76Ahmad
Hello every one, please help me finding the integer zeros for this equation

-15x^3+45x^2y-15xy^2+y^3+90x^2-210xy+40y^2-120x+184y = 0

I know that the solution should used by diophantine equation but i don't know
ho to solve it, Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
76Ahmad said:
Hello every one, please help me finding the integer zeros for this equation

-15x^3+45x^2y-15xy^2+y^3+90x^2-210xy+40y^2-120x+184y = 0

I know that the solution should used by diophantine equation but i don't know
ho to solve it, Please help :(

I don't think it's especially easy to do so -- barring something unusual (and I don't see anything unusual), (total) degree 3 polynomial equations in two variables define a type of plane curve called an "elliptic curve", and I am vaguely under the impression that the problem of finding integer points (a.k.a. integral points) on elliptic curves is fairly difficult.

These kinds of problems can be very difficult. A very good book written on the subject is "Rational points on Elliptic Curves" by Silverman and Tate.

The first thing that we should do here is to reduce this equation to the Weierstrass normal form. That is, we would like to express the equation as

[tex]y^2=x^3+ax^2+bx+c[/tex]

This can be done by a bit projective geometry. We begin by taking a rational point on the original cubic (for example (0,0)). We let Z=0 to be the tangent line to (0,0). Now, the tangent line will intersect our cubic in another rational point. Let X=0 be the tangent line to this other point and let Y=0 be an arbitrary line through (0,0) (which is not the tangent line).

Now, if we choose axes in this manner, and if we apply the projective transformation [itex]x=X/Z[/itex]and [itex]y=Y/Z[/itex] then we will get an equation of the form

[tex]xy^2+(ax+b)y=cx^2+dx+e[/tex]

Try to work this out first, then we can go further in the reducing.

Thanks,,

the global minimal Weierstras is
y^2+xy+y=x^3-x^2-62705x+5793679.

Related to Can the integer zeros for this diophantine equation be found?

1. What is the definition of an integer zero?

An integer zero is a whole number that has no value or magnitude, represented by the number 0.

2. How do I find the integer zeros of a function?

To find the integer zeros of a function, you can use the method of setting the function equal to 0 and solving for the variable. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator to plot the function and find the x-intercepts.

3. Can a function have more than one integer zero?

Yes, a function can have multiple integer zeros. This means that there can be more than one value of the variable that makes the function equal to 0.

4. What is the difference between an integer zero and a non-integer zero?

An integer zero is a whole number, while a non-integer zero can be any real number, including decimals and fractions. Non-integer zeros are also referred to as irrational or complex zeros.

5. Why is it important to find the integer zeros of a function?

Finding the integer zeros of a function helps us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the function. It also allows us to determine the solutions or roots of the function, which can be useful in solving real-world problems.