Can the Magnetic Field of a Black Hole Reveal Its Charge and Rotation?

In summary, it is possible to determine a charge density and rotational speed of a black hole by observing its magnetic field. However, within the event horizon, this concept does not apply. The existence of electric or magnetic fields for black holes is usually attributed to particles "freezing in time" as they fall towards the event horizon. Any mass within the event horizon cannot have stable orbits due to the inward direction of light cones. Black holes can generate large magnetic fields without being charged, and this does not violate the no-hair theorem as the magnetic field is attached to objects just outside the event horizon.
Dr Lots-o'watts
By observing the magnetic field of a black hole, couldn't a charge density depending on radius, as well as a rotational speed, be determined? I presume a charge(radius) function can be determined, so that would mean there was mass following a circular trajectories, somewhere between the singularity and the event horizon. Is that right? Is that allowed? What am I missing if not?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dr Lots-o'watts said:
By observing the magnetic field of a black hole, couldn't a charge density depending on radius, as well as a rotational speed, be determined? I presume a charge(radius) function can be determined, so that would mean there was mass following a circular trajectories, somewhere between the singularity and the event horizon. Is that right? Is that allowed? What am I missing if not?

Within the event horizon, I don't believe that concept applies... if you're asking whether or not a BH can have a charge or external magnetic field, then yes it can. Polar jets are (probably) the result of the magnetic field generated by the accretion disk and ergoregion.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:

The answer is completely undefined and unknown. According to general relativity the singularity has NO physical extent. Also keep in mind the quantum nature of things like 'spin' (e.g. of an electron). Its not associated with an actual rotation/orbit. Just because these ideas apply in casual low gravity, normal scales cases; doesn't mean they apply for black-holes.

The existence of electric or magnetic fields for black holes is usually attributed to the particles "freezing in time" as they fall towards the event horizon with respect to an outside (at infinity) observer, thus freezing the field lines with them. I've always found that description a bit unsettling, but its the best explanation I've ever heard (since clearly anything inside the EH cannot communicate with the outside world).

Nabeshin said:
The existence of electric or magnetic fields for black holes is usually attributed to the particles "freezing in time" as they fall towards the event horizon with respect to an outside (at infinity) observer, thus freezing the field lines with them. I've always found that description a bit unsettling, but its the best explanation I've ever heard (since clearly anything inside the EH cannot communicate with the outside world).

What isn't unsettling about a BH near the EH? :wink:

zhermes said:
The answer is completely undefined and unknown. According to general relativity the singularity has NO physical extent. Also keep in mind the quantum nature of things like 'spin' (e.g. of an electron). Its not associated with an actual rotation/orbit. Just because these ideas apply in casual low gravity, normal scales cases; doesn't mean they apply for black-holes.

Yet couldn't there be mass in "perpetual orbit" (in the same sense as any other orbit), somewhere between the singularity and event horizon? Seems that it would be a very special case if this space was empty.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Yet couldn't there be mass in "perpetual orbit" (in the same sense as any other orbit), somewhere between the singularity and event horizon? Seems that it would be a very special case if this space was empty.

No. There are no stable orbits any closer than r=6GM/c^2 away from the singularity, and the innermost unstable circular orbit occurs at r=3GM/c^2.

Or if you're interested in a less analytical answer, the simple fact is all light cones inside the event horizon are directed completely inward. So it would be impossible to orbit as you are forced to move inwards (the analogy is that space and time switch roles inside the EH. That is, while you are obligated to move forward in time outside the EH, you are similarly obligated to move inward in radius while inside the EH).

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
By observing the magnetic field of a black hole, couldn't a charge density depending on radius, as well as a rotational speed, be determined?

It turns out that black holes like most astrophysical objects can generate large magnetic fields without being charged. Kip Throne worked out the math and if you imagine the black hole as if it were a conducting sphere, you end up with a model that you can use to do calculations of the magnetic field.

twofish-quant said:
It turns out that black holes like most astrophysical objects can generate large magnetic fields without being charged. Kip Throne worked out the math and if you imagine the black hole as if it were a conducting sphere, you end up with a model that you can use to do calculations of the magnetic field.

But I guess it violates no-hair theorem, isn't it?

Dmitry67 said:
But I guess it violates no-hair theorem, isn't it?

Turns out no. What is happening is that the magnetic field is attached to things that are just outside of the event horizon.

the matter falling in them might be.

Related to Can the Magnetic Field of a Black Hole Reveal Its Charge and Rotation?

1. Can a black hole have a magnetic field?

Yes, it is possible for a black hole to have a magnetic field. In fact, most astrophysicists believe that the majority of black holes in our universe have some level of magnetic field.

2. How does a black hole generate a magnetic field?

The exact mechanism of how a black hole generates a magnetic field is still not fully understood. However, it is believed that the rotation of the black hole and the movement of charged particles near its event horizon contribute to the creation of the magnetic field.

3. Can a black hole's magnetic field affect nearby objects?

Yes, a black hole's magnetic field can have a significant impact on nearby objects. The magnetic field can accelerate charged particles, resulting in powerful jets of energy and radiation being emitted from the black hole.

4. How strong can a black hole's magnetic field be?

The strength of a black hole's magnetic field can vary greatly depending on the size and type of the black hole. Some smaller black holes have magnetic fields that are trillions of times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field.

5. Can we detect a black hole's magnetic field from Earth?

Currently, we do not have the technology to directly detect a black hole's magnetic field from Earth. However, we can indirectly study the effects of a black hole's magnetic field on surrounding objects, such as observing the powerful jets it produces.