Can this be done in a simplier way? Magic Squares

In summary, the conversation discusses proving Axiom 1 of all 3 x 3 magic squares using summation notation. The speaker attached a PDF file with their work but is looking for a simpler and more concise method. The conversation also touches on forming the basis for S and provides a set of equations to help with this process.
Dustinsfl
Proving Axiom 1 of all 3 x 3 magic squares.

I used summation notation to do so but it is extremely long and cumbersome.

I attached the pdf file with the work.

Is there a way to do this in a simpler more concise manner?

Attachments

• Magic Squares.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just added the pdf file I forgot to add.

What is this axiom 1 that you're trying to prove? That PDF is impenetrable.

To form the basis, consider the equations you have regarding some [tex]A[/tex] a magic square, denote [tex]x_i = a_{1i} \in A \quad 1 \le i \le 3[/tex] and [tex]x_i = a_{2i} \in A \quad 4 \le i \le 6[/tex] and so on, then:

[tex]x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = x_4 + x_5 + x_6[/tex]
[tex]x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = x_7 + x_8 + x_9[/tex]
[tex]x_1 + x_4 + x_7 = x_2 + x_5 + x_8[/tex]
[tex]x_1 + x_4 + x_7 = x_3 + x_6 + x_9[/tex]
[tex]x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = x_1 + x_4 + x_7[/tex]

If you play with these equations for a bit you can get the basis matrices.

1. What is a Magic Square?

A Magic Square is a square grid filled with numbers where the sum of each row, column, and diagonal is the same. It is considered a mathematical puzzle and has been studied for centuries by mathematicians.

2. How do you create a Magic Square?

There are various methods to create a Magic Square, but the most common method is to use the "Siamese method." This involves starting with the number 1 in the middle square of the top row, and then moving diagonally up and to the right, filling in each subsequent number. If a number falls outside of the grid, it is wrapped around to the opposite side.

3. Can a Magic Square be any size?

Yes, Magic Squares can come in any size as long as it is a square grid (same number of rows and columns). However, the larger the grid, the more complex the puzzle becomes.

4. Is it possible to have a Magic Square with negative numbers?

Yes, it is possible to have a Magic Square with negative numbers. The concept is the same as a regular Magic Square, but with the added element of negative numbers. The sum of each row, column, and diagonal will still equal the same number.

5. Are there any other types of Magic Squares?

Yes, there are various types of Magic Squares such as "Panmagic Squares" where the sum of each row, column, and diagonal is not only the same but also the same for any of the broken diagonals. There are also "Bimagic Squares" where the sum of each row, column, and diagonal is the same, as well as the sum of each 2x2 sub-square.