Can This Integral Be Solved Using Factoring and Substitution?

In summary, the person tried factoring and u-substitution to solve the given integral, but neither method worked. They then suggested breaking it up into two integrals and using a trigonometric substitution for one of them. They also mentioned that partial fractions would not work due to the presence of a square root in the denominator.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int {\frac{3x+2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

- i tried factoring hoping for a perfect square that i could take the square root of, but that doesn't work.

-u-sub won't work: u=1-[itex]x^2[/itex] ; du=2x

-i don't know how to use that denominator in partial fractions.

Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int {\frac{3x+2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

- i tried factoring hoping for a perfect square that i could take the square root of, but that doesn't work.

-u-sub won't work: u=1-[itex]x^2[/itex] ; du=2x

Break it up into two:##\int\frac{3x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx + \int\frac{2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}dx##.

Observe that ##3x = -\frac{3}{2}*(-2x)##, and now you should be able to make an obvious sub to resolve the first integral.

For the second integral, just make a simple trig sub.

Partial fractions wouldn't work here because of that square root in the denominator.

Related to Can This Integral Be Solved Using Factoring and Substitution?

What is an integral rational with radical?

An integral rational with radical is an expression that contains both a rational number (a number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers) and a radical (a symbol that represents a square root or other root of a number).

How do you simplify an integral rational with radical?

To simplify an integral rational with radical, you can first simplify the radical by finding perfect square factors and taking them out of the radical. Then, you can simplify the rational part by dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor.

What are the restrictions for the variable in an integral rational with radical?

The restrictions for the variable in an integral rational with radical depend on the specific expression. In general, the variable cannot take on any values that would result in a negative number inside the radical, as this would result in a complex number.

How do you solve equations involving integral rational with radical?

To solve equations involving integral rational with radical, you can first simplify the expression as much as possible. Then, you can use inverse operations to isolate the variable and solve for its value. Remember to check for any restrictions on the variable.

What is the importance of understanding integral rational with radical in mathematics?

Integral rational with radical expressions are commonly used in higher level mathematics, such as calculus and physics. Understanding them allows for easier manipulation of equations and solving complex problems involving these expressions.