Can we ever truly understand the concept of infinite speed?

• Thread starter renerob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the concept of a universe with a beginning but infinite spatial extent is difficult to imagine, but it is not impossible. Many cosmologists use the standard LambdaCDM model to conceptualize a universe with a beginning and infinite spatial extent, while others prefer alternative models such as the bounce model which does not have a singularity. Time is also a factor in understanding the creation of the universe, and it is important to understand that the past, present, and future all exist simultaneously in one frame of time. The concept of anti-time, or time moving in reverse, can help explain the active nature of particles like electrons. Ultimately, the idea of time travel is not likely to happen, but it is still an interesting concept to think about
There is no absolutely rigid body. If you pull string (whatever the material it is made of), molecules in it will start to move to new equilibrium point (unless you exceed tensile strength of material). This movement propagates at the speed of sound for a given material. Far less then speed of light.
You should understand that macroscopic objects are made of atoms, and they 'respond' to applied force with stretching, contracting, or breaking apart. Stretching or contracting travels through material at the speed of sound.

Space news on Phys.org
LoreSpade said:
... and by the way Dont just say something is impossible. prove to me this won't work. show me how. show me it has been done before. Quoting a man that said he might be wrong is not going to cut it for me ...

Einstein’s Special Relativity & General Relativity is the core foundation in cosmology, and the theory has been proven physically many times. Einstein is not just any man saying this or that...

And the basic foundation in all of this is the speed of light.

If you could get just the smallest indication for something exceeding the speed of light, you will get The Nobel Prize in Physics, this year. I promise you.

Not only that, you would become a multibillionaire in a very short time, since you could trick any bookmaker in the world by sending information faster than the speed of light = pure magic.

If you’re planning to break this physical law with an "uncuttable string", you have a lot of work to do... :wink:

S.Vasojevic said:
There is no absolutely rigid body. If you pull string (whatever the material it is made of), molecules in it will start to move to new equilibrium point (unless you exceed tensile strength of material). This movement propagates at the speed of sound for a given material. Far less then speed of light.
You should understand that macroscopic objects are made of atoms, and they 'respond' to applied force with stretching, contracting, or breaking apart. Stretching or contracting travels through material at the speed of sound.

Thank you this is what should have been said in responce.

:wink:
DevilsAvocado said:
There will be a wave of motion (actually one molecule 'bouncing' the next) in the Sun-'railway', and this motion can never overtake the speed of light.

upon further thought.

Say a string was placed in space. i think it would be impossible to tug it, becouse it would curve and take up orbit around the closest gravitational wave. and would move as a curve, slowing it and making it to where it cannot be straghtened.

Does this sound reasonable?

Long story short.

if you are not thinking of ways to break the rules your not doing anything.

Sure the speed of light might not be broken. but i bet you 10 bucks,

You can manipulate time and cover more distance than the speed of light will take you normaly.

Time speeds up when a object travels the speed of light. That kinda means to me that it could travel just as slow and reach the same distance with the amount of time added to it.

LoreSpade said:
... Time speeds up when a object travels the speed of light. ...

Well, actually no. It’s the other way around – moving clocks run slower.

And there’s physical proof in the GPS satellites, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System#Special_and_general_relativity" relative to Earth (according to Special Relativity), so that the atomic clocks are in sync.

It would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light, according to the Lorentz factor.
300px-Lorentz_factor.svg.png

There’s a lot more interesting info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_light" .

And there are people trying to break this 'enigma'. One example is the famous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPR_paradox" (Einstein–Podolsky–Rosen paradox), where quantum entanglement shows that measurements performed on spatially separated parts of a quantum system can apparently have an instantaneous influence on one another. And the experiment has been tested in fibre optic cables over distances of several kilometers – and it works...

One problem: No real information can be transferred – the outcome is 100% (quantum) random.

Last edited by a moderator: