Can we 'feel' magnitudes of distant forces?

In summary, humans cannot physically feel the magnitude of distant forces because our sense of touch is limited. However, we know that distant forces exist through observing their effects on objects and matter. These forces can be measured using scientific instruments, and there are various types of distant forces including gravitational, electromagnetic, and nuclear forces. Through technology and scientific methods, we can also manipulate distant forces.
bhauta
Some say that our body can 'feel' only contact forces, I want to confirm it. Suppose I am placed between two Earth's so that their gravitational forces on me are equal and opposite. Do I feel any 'pull' - as in tug of war the rope would feel if it had sensations? If Earth's are replaced by Jupiters, do I feel any difference?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think the thought experiment you propose addresses the issue you are asking about.

1. Can humans feel the magnitude of distant forces?

No, humans cannot physically feel the magnitude of distant forces. Our sense of touch is limited by the range of our physical reach, so we cannot directly feel distant forces.

2. How do we know that distant forces exist?

We know that distant forces exist because we can observe their effects on objects and matter. For example, we can see the effects of gravity on objects, even though we cannot physically feel it.

3. Can we measure the magnitude of distant forces?

Yes, we can measure the magnitude of distant forces using scientific instruments such as telescopes, seismographs, and accelerometers. These instruments allow us to indirectly observe and measure the effects of distant forces.

4. Are there different types of distant forces?

Yes, there are various types of distant forces, such as gravitational forces, electromagnetic forces, and nuclear forces. Each type of force has its own unique characteristics and effects on objects.

5. Can we manipulate distant forces?

Yes, we can manipulate distant forces through technology and scientific methods. For example, we can use rockets and satellites to counteract the effects of gravity and manipulate the trajectory of objects in space.