Can we interchange the Dirac Matrices?

In summary, during a lecture on Vibrations and Waves, the Schrodinger equation was derived from the Energy and Momentum operators applied to the non-relativistic relation E = p^2 / 2m. The lecturer challenged students to make the equation relativistic, with the Dirac equation being the ultimate goal. After attempting to derive the Klein-Gordon equation, the Dirac α and β Matrices were discovered. These matrices are tied to specific components of the momentum operator, but it is an arbitrary convention and different matrices can be used. The basis for the Dirac matrices follows from the Pauli spin matrices, which are normally written to conform to the Condon-Shortley convention. In other configurations, the synchronization with angular momentum
thayes93
Ok, first off I will admit that I really am pretty much ignorant of proper QM, as I am a first year undergraduate at a UK university.

Today our lecturer, in the final lecture of a Vibrations and Waves course, demonstrated how the Schrodinger equation is derived from applying the Energy and Momentum operators to the non-relativistic relation E = p^2 / 2m. He said he would be impressed if anyone could make this a relativistic equation and would be particularly impressed if anyone could derive the Dirac equation (though he expected this to be impossible for a first year and said that if anyone could they may as well go pick up their PhD now!).

Naturally, a friend and I decided to apply ourselves to the task and within 10 minutes had derived the Klein-Gordon equation. We saw a route to the Dirac equation but found in impossible to think of the object X that satisfies:
[tex] X^{2} = \triangledown ^{2} - \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial ^{2}}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]
So after looking up the Dirac equation on wikipedia we came across the Dirac α and β Matrices, and that all made perfect sense.

My question is that, as far as I can tell, matrices alpha 1, 2, and 3 all seem tied to a particular component of the p (momentum) operator. However, from my understanding, the only limitation on each matrix is that its square must be the identity matrix and when multiplied by any of the other matrices, the product must equal zero.
Why then do specific Dirac matrices seem linked with particular components of the momentum operator (i.e alpha 1 is associated with the partial d/dx term)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, in the Latex text, the last term should have 1/c not 1/2.

As I understand it, the basis for the Dirac matrices follow from the Pauli spin matrices which are normally written to conform to the Condon-Shortley convention. If they (Pauli spin matrices) are written in another configuration (where they are still mutually orthogonal) you lose the most simple way to derive or be synchronized with the coupling to angular momentum and spherical harmonics.

1. Can we interchange the Dirac matrices in any equation?

No, the Dirac matrices are unique mathematical objects that have specific properties and cannot be interchanged freely in equations. Their order and placement in an equation can greatly affect the outcome and meaning of the equation.

2. What is the purpose of using the Dirac matrices?

The Dirac matrices are used in mathematical representations of quantum mechanics, specifically in the Dirac equation. They are essential in describing the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons.

3. Are the Dirac matrices interchangeable with other matrices?

No, the Dirac matrices are a set of four 4x4 matrices that have unique properties and cannot be replaced by other matrices. They have specific algebraic relationships and their own set of rules for manipulation.

4. Can the Dirac matrices be used in classical mechanics equations?

No, the Dirac matrices are specific to quantum mechanics and cannot be used in classical mechanics equations. They are used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and do not have a classical equivalent.

5. How do the Dirac matrices relate to the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli matrices are a subset of the Dirac matrices, specifically the first two. They behave similarly to the Dirac matrices but have fewer dimensions. The Dirac matrices also have additional properties that the Pauli matrices do not have.