Can we see light pollution from space?

In summary, light pollution is a problem that can be seen in different parts of the world, depending on the amount of light produced.
LightningInAJar
Is there a way to create a map from satellites showing how much light pollution there is on earth? For example if you wanted to do astro photography and wanted to know how far away from city you need to drive to see certain levels of detail from galaxy?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised to see so much light pollution in Lapland and North Cape areas. They must be more populated than I thought.

1659645544980.png

The satellite night views of that area show little light from Lapland.
1659645700769.png

Is it possible that light pollution considers cloud cover in addition to light produced?

• Wow
  • Love
Likes vanhees71, pinball1970 and DennisN
Awesome. Thanks.

anorlunda said:
That's probably because the picture is looking directly at light sources, which are MUCH brighter than the scattered light in the air. The small amount of scattered light simply won't show up on that picture, even though these 'light domes' can be very large.

Edit: Now that I look a little closer, I think light pollution can be seen around some of the major population centers. But the less populated areas are giving off less light, and thus less scattered light, which might not show up on the picture.
anorlunda said:
Is it possible that light pollution considers cloud cover in addition to light produced?
I don't think so.

Likes vanhees71
anorlunda said:
I'm surprised to see so much light pollution in Lapland and North Cape areas. They must be more populated than I thought.
I would probably blame the map projection. Polar areas get srteched, so it looks like a huge population centre.

Likes vanhees71
anorlunda said:
Kinda. How bright the sky is will depend on how much light is produced and how transparent the sky is. There's weather forecasts for that:
http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/SpgMtnObPAkey.html?1

anorlunda said:

Despite the light pollution which I'm not a fan of, it's a lovely image.

Likes vanhees71, pinball1970 and anorlunda

1. What is light pollution?

Light pollution refers to the excessive or inappropriate use of artificial light, which results in the brightening of the night sky and the obstruction of natural starlight. It is caused by the overuse and misdirection of outdoor lighting, such as street lights, building lights, and advertising signs.

2. Can we see light pollution from space?

Yes, we can see light pollution from space. The excessive and scattered artificial light creates a glow in the atmosphere that is visible from space. This can be seen in satellite images of Earth at night, where urban areas and regions with high levels of light pollution appear much brighter than surrounding areas.

3. How does light pollution affect the environment?

Light pollution has a negative impact on the environment in various ways. It disrupts the natural cycles of plants and animals, affects their behavior and mating patterns, and can even lead to species extinction. It also wastes energy and contributes to the emission of greenhouse gases, which contribute to climate change.

4. What are the health effects of light pollution?

Light pollution can have adverse effects on human health as well. Exposure to excessive artificial light at night can disrupt our circadian rhythm, leading to sleep disorders and other health problems. It can also cause glare and reduce visibility, increasing the risk of accidents and injuries.

5. How can we reduce light pollution?

There are several ways to reduce light pollution, such as using energy-efficient and properly directed lighting, implementing dark sky-friendly lighting policies, and raising awareness about the issue. Individuals can also make a difference by turning off unnecessary lights and using light-blocking curtains or shades at night.