Can You Calculate the Stopping Distance at a Traffic Light?

In summary: Since the Motorist's initial speed is greater than the Maximum Deceleration, he will be able to reach the intersection before the red light turns on.
ice109

Homework Statement

(3) A motorist is approaching a green traffic light with speed [itex]v_0[/itex] when the light turns
to amber.
(a) If his reaction time is [itex]\tau[/itex], during which he makes his decision to stop and applies his foot to the
brake, and if the maximum braking deceleration is a, what is the minimum distance [itex]s_{min}[/itex] from the
intersection at the moment the light turns to amber in which he can bring his car to a stop?
(b) If the amber light remains on for a time t before turning red, what is the maximum distance
[itex]s_{max}[/itex] from the intersection at the moment the light turns to amber such that he can continue into the
intersection at speed [itex]v_0[/itex] without running the red light?
(c) Show that if his initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex] is greater than

[itex]v_{0_{max}} = 2a(t- \tau )[/itex]

there will be a range of distance from the intersection such that he can neither stop in time nor
continue through the intersection without running the red light.

Homework Equations

kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A using [itex]vf^2=v_0^2 +2(-a)d[/itex] is [itex] s_{min}=\frac{v_0^2}{2a} +v_0\tau[/itex]

B is simply [itex]v_0 t[/itex]

C I'm almost clueless. i can sub the given expression into both of my derived equations for [itex]s_{min}[/itex] and [itex]s_{max}[/itex] and all i get is that they both equal [itex]2at(t-\tau)[/itex] which i can't see how to use to prove that [itex] s_{max}<s<s_{min}[/itex].

This is actually an intermediate mechanics question but seems simple enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitute your values into the inequality for smax & smin.
Solve for v.

the implication needs to go the other way, if p is the statement about velocity and q is the statement about distance i need to prove p -> q, that would prove q->p

even if i did do as you said, how would i "solve" for v?

Last edited:
ice109 said:
(c) Show that if his initial speed [itex]v_0[/itex] is greater than

[itex]v_{0_{max}} = 2a(t- \tau )[/itex]

there will be a range of distance from the intersection such that he can neither stop in time nor
continue through the intersection without running the red light.

s > s_max or s < s_min
v*t > s_max or v*t < s_min

Since we are looking for the maximum initial speed, then
vo_max*t = vo_max^2/(2a) + vo_max*r
t = vo_max/(2a) + r
t - r = vo_max/(2a)
vo_max = 2a(t-r)

i don't understand what you've done

why did you equate the two?

Related to Can You Calculate the Stopping Distance at a Traffic Light?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What makes a kinematics question "weird"?

A kinematics question can be considered "weird" if it involves unusual or unexpected conditions, or if it requires unconventional thinking to solve.

3. How do you solve a weird kinematics question?

The key to solving any kinematics question is to identify the known values, choose the appropriate equations, and use them to solve for the unknown variables. For weird kinematics questions, it may also be helpful to think creatively and consider alternative approaches.

4. Can you provide an example of a weird kinematics question?

Sure, here's an example: A car is driving on a circular track at a constant speed. Suddenly, the track splits into two paths, with one path being twice as long as the other. If the car maintains the same speed, which path will it take and why?

5. How is kinematics applied in real life?

Kinematics is used in many practical applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing sports movements, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as self-driving cars and space exploration.