Can you explain me how these equations were obtained?

• Thread starter whuzzwhuzz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the equations ln(-2) = ln(2) + (1+2k)*pi*i and ln(16) = ln (16) + 2m*pi*i are obtained by applying the identity of complex numbers. This is because the logarithm is a multivalued function and must be chosen within a single branch. This branch is related to the phase of the complex number, and is 2π periodic. Therefore, there are infinitely many solutions, one for each integer n.
whuzzwhuzz
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Those equations are obtained by applying the "[URL identity[/URL] of the complex numbers:

[tex]\ln{(-2)}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(2\cdot{}e^{(2k+1)\pi{}i})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(2)} + \ln{(e^{(2k+1)\pi{}i})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(2)} + (2k+1)\pi{}i[/tex]

Where k = 0, 1, 2, ...

The second one is:

[tex]\ln{(16)}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(16\cdot{}e^{2\pi{}mi})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(16)} + \ln{(e^{2\pi{}mi})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(16)} + 2\pi{}mi[/tex]

Where m = 0, 1, 2, ...

Last edited by a moderator:
jjmontero9 said:
Those equations are obtained by applying the "[URL identity[/URL] of the complex numbers:

[tex]\ln{(-2)}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(2\cdot{}e^{(2k+1)\pi{}i})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(2)} + \ln{(e^{(2k+1)\pi{}i})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(2)} + (2k+1)\pi{}i[/tex]

Where k = 0, 1, 2, ...The second one is:

[tex]\ln{(16)}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(16\cdot{}e^{2\pi{}mi})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(16)} + \ln{(e^{2\pi{}mi})}[/tex]

[tex]= \ln{(16)} + 2\pi{}mi[/tex]

Where m = 0, 1, 2, ...

To clarify this a bit, when dealing with complex numbers the logarithm is a multivalued function, so you must choose a "branch" of the function that is single valued. However, all branches are related to each other by multiples of [itex]2\pi[/itex]. If [itex]\log(z)[/itex], for complex numbers z, is the complex logarithm function (which is always base e), you can relate it to the real valued logarithm, ln(x), and the phase of the number z. In polar coordinates, [itex]z = r\exp(i\theta)[/itex], where r is the modulus of the complex number (and is purely real) and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the phase. Then, we may write

[tex]\log(z) = \log(re^{i\theta}) = \ln r + \log(e^{i\theta}) = \ln r + i(\theta + 2n\pi)[/tex]
where n is an integer.

The [itex]2\pi n[/itex] term is there for the same reasons as when solving an equation like [itex]y = \sin(\theta)[/itex]. You get [itex]\theta = \arcsin y + 2n\pi[/itex], because sin is [itex]2\pi[/itex] periodic. Similarly, the complex exponential function is [itex]2i\pi[/itex] periodic, so when taking the inverse you get this [itex]2\pi i n[/itex] term added on:

[tex]e^{i\theta} = e^{i\theta + 2n\pi i}.[/tex]

In the example cited, [itex]\theta[/itex] was zero, but no branch of the complex logarithm was chosen, so there are infinitely many solutions, one for each integer n.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both both of you guys. Both helped me understand the question and the topic. Thank you again. :)

Sure, I'd be happy to explain how these equations were obtained. The equations you mentioned are the result of applying the properties of logarithms to complex numbers. Let's break down each equation separately to understand how they were obtained.

For the first equation, ln(-2) = ln(2) + (1+2k)*pi*i, we can start by writing -2 as a complex number in polar form: -2 = 2*e^(pi*i). Then, using the property of logarithms that states ln(a*b) = ln(a) + ln(b), we can rewrite ln(-2) as ln(2*e^(pi*i)). Next, we can use another property of logarithms, ln(e^x) = x, to simplify further and get ln(2) + ln(e^(pi*i)). Finally, we can use the fact that e^(pi*i) = -1 to get ln(2) + ln(-1), which can be rewritten as ln(2) + (1+2k)*pi*i.

For the second equation, ln(16) = ln (16) + 2m*pi*i, we can use similar steps. We can write 16 as a complex number in polar form: 16 = 16*e^(0*i). Then, using the property ln(a^b) = b*ln(a), we can rewrite ln(16) as 4*ln(2*e^(0*i)). Again, using the property ln(e^x) = x, we can simplify further to get 4*ln(2) + 4*ln(e^(0*i)). Since e^(0*i) = 1, we can rewrite this as 4*ln(2) + 4*0*i, which simplifies to 4*ln(2) + 0*i. Therefore, ln(16) = ln(16) + 2m*pi*i.

These equations were obtained by applying the properties of logarithms to complex numbers, which can help us simplify and manipulate expressions involving complex numbers. I hope this explanation helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How were these equations derived?

The process of deriving equations involves using mathematical principles and logical reasoning to find a relationship between different variables. This typically involves starting with a known equation or set of data and manipulating it to arrive at the desired equation.

2. What is the significance of each term in these equations?

Each term in an equation represents a specific variable or constant that is being used to describe a particular phenomenon. Understanding the significance of these terms is crucial in interpreting the meaning and implications of the equation.

3. Are these equations based on real-world observations or theoretical assumptions?

The source of the equations can vary, but they are typically based on a combination of real-world observations and theoretical assumptions. Scientists use data and evidence to develop equations that accurately describe and predict natural phenomena.

4. Can you walk me through the steps of solving these equations?

Solving equations involves manipulating them to isolate a specific variable or solve for a particular value. The steps for solving equations can vary depending on the specific equation and the desired outcome. It often involves using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

5. How can I use these equations in my own research or studies?

Equations can be used in a variety of ways, depending on the specific field of study. They can be used to make predictions, analyze data, or model complex systems. It is important to understand the limitations and assumptions of the equations before applying them to your own research or studies.