How Does a Gasoline Engine Manage Heat?

• Thread starter ziddy83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the thermal efficiency and power output of a gasoline engine. The person is asking for help with finding the amount of heat supplied and discarded by the engine per second, and is also struggling with understanding the concept of thermal efficiency. They are looking for assistance in solving the problem.
ziddy83
hey what's up guys, I need some help solving a homework problem for physics...
here is the question.
A gasonline engine has a power output of 180 kW (241hp). Its thermal efficiency is 28%.

a) How much heat must be supplied to the engine per second?
b) How much heat is discarded by the engine per second?

I know this is probably a simple question, but I am kind of having a hard time with this chapter. I know that thermal efficiency is equal to work/Qh...and after that...i need a little help. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can Anyone help? Thats all that was given in the question...

ziddy83 said:
hey what's up guys, I need some help solving a homework problem for physics...
here is the question.
A gasonline engine has a power output of 180 kW (241hp). Its thermal efficiency is 28%.

a) How much heat must be supplied to the engine per second?
b) How much heat is discarded by the engine per second?

I know this is probably a simple question, but I am kind of having a hard time with this chapter. I know that thermal efficiency is equal to work/Qh...and after that...i need a little help. Thanks for any help.

If only 28% of the energy supplied is converted to mechanical energy, what percent is not converted to mechanical energy? Power is just the rate of energy supplied/converted, so ask the same question about the power. Work your way back to figure out how much power must be supplied.

1. How do you measure heat?

Heat can be measured using a thermometer, which measures the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance.

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the total energy of all particles in a substance, while temperature is the average kinetic energy of those particles.

3. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat can transfer through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction occurs through direct contact, convection involves the movement of fluids, and radiation occurs through electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of that substance by 1 degree Celsius.

5. How does heat affect matter?

Heat can cause matter to expand or contract, change state (e.g. from solid to liquid), and increase the speed of particles. It can also break chemical bonds, leading to chemical reactions.