1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you help me evaluate this limit?

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Can you help me evaluate this limit?

lim k -[tex]\sqrt{k^{2}+k}[/tex] as k[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex]

I have evaluated the limit using computer technology and I know it should be
    -1/2. I have tried using something like the squeeze theorem but failed.

My other attempt is to mutiply the limit by the expression
    lim k +[tex]\sqrt{k^{2}+k}[/tex] / lim k +[tex]\sqrt{k^{2}+k}[/tex]

Please help me. I know this is a simple problem, but I got stuck. Thank you
    for your time and I hope you reply.

HF08

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}(k-\sqrt{k^2+k})[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\left(k-\sqrt{k^2+k} \cdot \frac{k+\sqrt{k^2+k}}{k+\sqrt{k^2+k}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\left(\frac{-k}{k+\sqrt{k^2+k}}\right)[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    Hf08

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}(k-\sqrt{k^2+k})[/tex]

This should be right...

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4
    Almost there...

Right. Now, this gives us [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\left(\frac{-1}{1+\frac{\sqrt{k^2+k}}{k}}\right)[/tex]

So, the next question is how to show that [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\left(\frac{\sqrt{k^2+k}}{k}}\right)[/tex] = 1 . I tried l'hopital, but I wonder if there is another way?
    I think is is fairly obvious this is basically k/k for large k, but how to prove that with rigor?

Thanks,
    HF08

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5
    [tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\left(\frac{-1}{1+\sqrt{\frac{k^2+k}{k^2}}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{k\rightarrow \infty}\left(\frac{-1}{1+\sqrt{1+\frac 1 k}}\right)[/tex]

7. Mar 9, 2008 #6
    Thanks

(Slaps forehead). Thanks Rocophyics. Can I modify this thread to show solved? I am still new to this forum.

8. Mar 9, 2008 #7
    It's ok! Yeah, go to Thread Tools (least I think so, I never do it myself :p)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?