Can you modify the necroposting restriction slightly?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter lugita15
  • Start date
lugita15
So it seems that sufficiently old threads have been locked to prevent necroposting. I'm not disagreeing with this policy, but can you change the technical implementation of it slightly? When I want to quote from a post in another thread, what I usually do is go to that post, click the "QUOTE" button, copy what I see, and then paste it in the current thread. So locking old threads has the effect, perhaps unintended, of rendering the quote button inoperable. Can something be done to fix this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Completely ignoring the policy for a moment, and what can be done about the problem on the large scale - you can simulate quotes on your own.

Start answering. Add [noparse][/noparse] tags where you want the quote to appear. Copy paste text from the original post inside quote tags, and you are partially done - it is obvious what you are answering. For example

[noparse]
So it seems that sufficiently old threads have been locked
[/noparse]

yields

If you want to do it better, modify the first [noparse]
[/noparse] tag. Correct syntax is

[noparse]
user_name;post_number said:
[/noparse]

User name you can just type, and the post number you can easily check - in the right upper corner of each post is a # followed by a number of the post in the thread. This is not yet a number you are looking for, but it is a link, which usually looks like

[noparse]https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=[/noparse]3802790[noparse]&postcount=1[/noparse]

and the number after p is what you need. So, to pretend I am quoting your post that started this thread I can modify the first quote tag to

[noparse]
lugita15 said:
[/noparse]

and the whole quote will look like

[noparse]
lugita15 said:
[/noparse]

being displayed as

lugita15 said:

Borek, if I did it manually how would I copy over equations and stuff?

Equations will be difficult. Still doable, but each equations has to be copied separately.

More or less:

You need to add tex tags (like [tеx][/tеx] or [itеx][/itеx] for inline, or twice the double dollar sign/twice the hash sign for opening and closing) in the place in the quote where the equation should be placed. Then go to the post with the equation, right click on the equation, select Show Math As/Tex Commands, mark and copy TeX as displayed, then paste it between tex tags in the quote you are faking.

For the images you need to use [noparse][/noparse] tags, and check what is the image URI (that depends on your browser) and enter this URI between tags.

1. What is necroposting and why is it restricted?

Necroposting refers to the act of reviving old threads or discussions that have been inactive for a long period of time. It is restricted to maintain the relevance and organization of the forum, as well as to prevent spamming.

2. Can the restriction on necroposting be modified?

Yes, the restriction on necroposting can be modified depending on the forum's rules and policies. However, it is important to consider the reasons behind the restriction and whether a modification would benefit the forum as a whole.

3. How can the necroposting restriction be modified?

The necroposting restriction can be modified by changing the time limit for when a thread is considered "old" or inactive. This can be done by adjusting the forum's settings or by manually changing the date of the post.

4. What are the potential consequences of modifying the necroposting restriction?

Modifying the necroposting restriction may result in an increase in old and irrelevant posts, which can clutter the forum and make it difficult for users to find relevant information. It may also lead to confusion and disrupt the flow of discussions.

5. Is it necessary to modify the necroposting restriction?

Not necessarily. While some forums may benefit from a modified restriction, others may not need it. It is important to carefully consider the impact of the modification and whether it aligns with the forum's goals and values.