Can You Really Buy a Type 1a Supernova Online?

In summary, the conversation discusses NexTag's wide range of products, including their offering of a type 1a supernova for purchase. However, upon further research, the resale value and shipping costs may not make it a practical purchase. The possibility of oversized items and high overnight shipping rates are also mentioned.
seerongo
Boy, NexTag sells everything! I just Googled for "type 1a supernova" and they tell me I can buy one cheap! Who could resist?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hear the resale value is not too good on those...

Never mind. I just found out the shipping cost...

Searching thousands of stores to find great deals for type 1a supernova...
At least they're in stock.

They qualify for free Super-Saver shipping at Amazon. I checked.

turbo-1 said:
They qualify for free Super-Saver shipping at Amazon. I checked.

They haven't sold any before, so I would check before ordering.

UPS may not permit the shipping of some oversized items.

The rates on overnight are likely to be astronomical.

LowlyPion said:
They haven't sold any before, so I would check before ordering.

UPS may not permit the shipping of some oversized items.

Given the luminosity of the item, I don't think "overnight" shipping would apply. :-p

LowlyPion said:

:smile: And...grooooooaaan! :smile:

Have we killed it yet? (Yes I know, I killed it by asking)...

Related to Can You Really Buy a Type 1a Supernova Online?

1. What is a type 1a supernova?

A type 1a supernova is a type of stellar explosion that occurs in binary star systems, where one star is a white dwarf and the other is either a main sequence star or a red giant. When the white dwarf accretes enough matter from its companion star, it reaches a critical mass and undergoes a thermonuclear explosion, resulting in a bright and violent explosion.

2. How can a type 1a supernova be obtained at a cheap cost?

Obtaining a type 1a supernova at a cheap cost is not currently possible. The process of creating a type 1a supernova requires specific conditions and materials that are not easily accessible or cheap. It also involves complex astronomical events that cannot be artificially replicated.

3. Can a type 1a supernova be created in a laboratory?

No, a type 1a supernova cannot be created in a laboratory. As mentioned before, the conditions and materials required for a type 1a supernova are not easily attainable and the process involves astronomical events that cannot be replicated artificially.

4. How often do type 1a supernovae occur?

Type 1a supernovae occur relatively frequently in the universe, with an estimated rate of 1-2 per century in our Milky Way galaxy. However, they are not visible to the naked eye and are often only detected through telescopes and other advanced astronomical equipment.

5. What is the significance of studying type 1a supernovae?

Studying type 1a supernovae is crucial for understanding the evolution of the universe and the properties of dark energy, as they are used as standard candles for measuring cosmic distances. They also provide insights into the formation and evolution of stars and the role of binary star systems in the universe.