Canada Wins Gold at World Juniors!

In summary, the Canadian national junior team shut out Russia 5-0 in an amazing game, and Justin Hogge was awesome.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
For anyone who watches the World Juniors, you know what I'm talking about.

Canada shuts out Russia 5-0!

It was an amazing game. Justin Hogge obviously played awesome, and I'm looking forward to see him as a Leaf goalie.

All around great team.

DRINK UP CANADA!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are hte world juniors?

Pengwuino said:
What are hte world juniors?

Under 19 International Hockey Tournament.

I don't think the US team helped the US image in anyway. The entire team couldn't control their temper.

JasonRox said:
Under 19 International Hockey Tournament.
I don't think the US team helped the US image in anyway. The entire team couldn't control their temper.

A thread about a bunch of kids winning a hockey tournament?

I know there's a snoozing face icon somewhere...

Pengwuino said:

Same comment toward university football.

Look at the bright side, hockey players aren't fat like football players. Also, hockey players have good endurance, so they can manage to play more than once a week. :tongue:

By the way, it's a big tournament.

At least the football players can actually join in the drinking celebration :P

Pengwuino said:
At least the football players can actually join in the drinking celebration :P

Um... they're Canadian. Everyone drinks here. :tongue:

ARGH russia loses...bah.

JasonRox said:
Justin Hogge

It's Pogge. Sadly I don't have cable so missed most of the games. I hear the Russians scored a goal that was missed by the officials.

I also hear that Canadian fans embarassed themselves by booing the American anthem and some "overrrrated" chanting in the bronze medal match. I absolutely hate this kind of garbage. booing a player after making a dastardly play, like Jack Johnson's elbow, I can possibly support. Quebec fans booing Lindros everytime he touches the puck I find funny (how many years?). Booing ourselves is only slighty tolerable (the Vancouver game of the summit series) But booing another nations anthem I find just despicable, and generally mocking a bunch of 18 year olds seems very low.

Yay! Definitely great news!

Pengwuino said:
Coming from a west coaster who has never seen the world juniors. Please...talk up something really interresting, like soccer.

The US team didn't surprise me one bit. I don't know how it got started, but hockey camps must be turning out moronic hot heads by the thousands. Forget technical skills and skating. We just want to fight.

Way to go Canada.

woohoo! we win again!

shmoe said:
It's Pogge. Sadly I don't have cable so missed most of the games. I hear the Russians scored a goal that was missed by the officials.
I also hear that Canadian fans embarassed themselves by booing the American anthem and some "overrrrated" chanting in the bronze medal match. I absolutely hate this kind of garbage. booing a player after making a dastardly play, like Jack Johnson's elbow, I can possibly support. Quebec fans booing Lindros everytime he touches the puck I find funny (how many years?). Booing ourselves is only slighty tolerable (the Vancouver game of the summit series) But booing another nations anthem I find just despicable, and generally mocking a bunch of 18 year olds seems very low.

Um... the Americans did a lot more than that elbow. But I respect the fact that you don't know because you didn't watch any games.

Second, the elbow move happened again against Finland during the medal round, and I believe that spiked the whole booing and chanting.

The American team were a disgrace.

Note: Jack Johnson is lucky it happened late in the game. That kind of play is not tolerable, and players like him will pay. Look what happened at Steve Moore. This is why the Steve Moore case is controversial because he should have seen it come. Act like an idiot, and pay the price... usually a heavy one.

Last edited:
LOL-High school boys' hockey team beats US women's olympic hockey team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/hockey/more/01/05/bc.hko.teamusa.warroad.ap/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
gravenewworld said:
LOL-High school boys' hockey team beats US women's olympic hockey team.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/hockey/more/01/05/bc.hko.teamusa.warroad.ap/index.html
It would have been a shalacking if they were allowed to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, congrats to the Canadian national junior team. They weren't even supposed to medal, and they ended up winning gold!

Second, nobody booed the american national anthem. That is a falsehood. Yes they booed the team mercilessly, and why not, the Americans deserved it. They were a bunch of brats. Jack Johnson should have been tossed out of the tournament for what he did.

Third, this is no small tournament. I'm pretty sure a lot more people watch the gold medal game than watch the Super Bowl in Canada.

Fourth, it's U20, not 19. To play in the 2006 IIHFWJHC a player must be born on or after January 1, 1986.

Fifth, overall I was disappointed with the Vancouver crowd (not numbers, but the nature of the crowd). Of course I really shouldn't be, since Vancouver is a hopeless sports city and a poor hockey city. The crowds were so quiet you'd think it was a Minnesota/New Jersey game being played in the swamp. Nothing like Halifax in '03 or Winnipeg in '99 or Red Deer in '95. Although the gold medal game was pretty good crowd-wise, if only because a lot of the fans were probably from across the country instead of just the lower mainland.

I have watched every world junior since Red Deer in 95 and for me this is one of the most memorable. This team was not even close in talent level to teams like 2002/3/4, but unlike those teams which choked, this team overachieved and made us all unbelievably proud.

It is a good day to be Canadian.

JasonRox said:
Um... the Americans did a lot more than that elbow. But I respect the fact that you don't know because you didn't watch any games.

Second, the elbow move happened again against Finland during the medal round, and I believe that spiked the whole booing and chanting.

The American team were a disgrace.

Can you honestly tell me that the booing was entirely due to their play and had nothing at all to do with the fact that they were Americans?

JasonRox said:
Note: Jack Johnson is lucky it happened late in the game. That kind of play is not tolerable, and players like him will pay. Look what happened at Steve Moore. This is why the Steve Moore case is controversial because he should have seen it come. Act like an idiot, and pay the price... usually a heavy one.

Should he have known a punch to the back of the head was on the way? The controversy was because he got hurt, bad, by a terrible cheap shot in an act of vengeance. Take away the "hurt, bad" and it would have been much less of a deal. Also remove the "cheap shot", if they were face to face punching each other, and it would barely have been news.

ek said:
Second, nobody booed the american national anthem. That is a falsehood.

Count me as happily misinformed.

ek said:
Yes they booed the team mercilessly, and why not, the Americans deserved it. They were a bunch of brats. Jack Johnson should have been tossed out of the tournament for what he did.

Same question, do you think it had nothing to do with them being American?

I was suprised that nothing came out of the Johnson elbow.

it isn't about talent,its about chemistry which Canada has plenty of...well perhaps maybe a talented goalie would help you win.

shmoe said:
Should he have known a punch to the back of the head was on the way? The controversy was because he got hurt, bad, by a terrible cheap shot in an act of vengeance. Take away the "hurt, bad" and it would have been much less of a deal. Also remove the "cheap shot", if they were face to face punching each other, and it would barely have been news.

Do you watch hockey? I don't think you do.

He saw it coming totally.

If you think that's a cheap shot, you definitely didn't see the worse in hockey. I played hockey, and I've seen much much much worse happen.

When you hit annoy and hit the valuable players of the other team, you are bound to die on the ice. This is why Steve Moore saw it coming. He kept harrasing Naslund, and um... you don't do that because you will pay.

Note: Same reason why Crosby isn't getting big hits or harrased. Everyone thought he wouldn't be able to handle the NHL. Those who said that, about Crosby, obviously know nothing about hockey. If you mess with the top player, you get killed... hence no one will mess Crosby.

Trust me, Moore saw it coming. Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time... hence not play hockey for awhile or never.

Last edited:
shmoe said:
Count me as happily misinformed.
Same question, do you think it had nothing to do with them being American?
I was suprised that nothing came out of the Johnson elbow.

DID YOU NOT WATCH THE TOURNAMENT?!

The Americans got booed for playing like sore losers and being dumbass pricks on the ice. They were completely disrespecful.

1. How many times has Canada won gold at the World Juniors?

As of 2021, Canada has won gold at the World Juniors a total of 18 times.

2. When was the last time Canada won gold at the World Juniors?

The most recent gold medal for Canada at the World Juniors was in 2020.

3. Who were the top players on Canada's winning team?

Some of the top players on Canada's winning team include Alexis Lafrenière, Connor McMichael, and Barrett Hayton.

4. How does Canada's record at the World Juniors compare to other countries?

Canada has the most gold medals at the World Juniors, with the United States coming in second with 4 gold medals.

5. What is the significance of Canada winning gold at the World Juniors?

The World Juniors is a highly competitive and prestigious tournament, so winning gold is a significant achievement for any country. For Canada, it is especially important as hockey is a beloved sport and winning at the World Juniors is seen as a stepping stone for future success at the senior level.