Canadians on Terrorist attacks

• News
  • Thread starter kat
  • Start date
In summary, most Canadians (56%) believe possible terrorist attacks on Canada in the next two years are unlikely, but a sizable minority (42%) thinks the country could be the target of a major terrorist attack within that period. Quebecers are the least worried.
kat
Three years after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade towers in New York, most Canadians (56%) think possible terrorist attacks on Canada in the next two years are unlikely, but a sizable minority (42%) thinks the country could be the target of a major terrorist attack within that period.

Quebecers are the least worried. Sixty-seven percent do not believe an attack likely in the next two years while 29% consider it s real possibility.

Apprehension is highest in the Prairies where 49% think an attack is likely in the next two years while 50% held the opposite view.
This was from CRIC Research
http://www.cric.ca/en_re/analys/
What I'm wondering is why do Canadians think there is such a difference of opinion between those in the "prairies" and those elsewhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The prairies is where the mentality is closer to that in the the US. They are the most conservative-right. The Conservative opposition leader Harper is from that area.

My personnal opinion is that the entirety of central north America is more isolated from the rest of the world, and so more skeptical of it. There are probably much less Muslims and Arabs there than on the coasts and multicutural cites (esp. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montral), this lack of interaction might cause insecurity.

Also, much of Canada's French population is in the East, and it makes sense to them that Al-Qaida would go after France before them. Yet, any coalition force is probably higher on Laden's list than France. Attacking the Newfies would just be silly.

I'm going to be crude and say the prairies are full of rednecks and thus suffer from lower intelligence. (it's true that U of A has quite low entry standards by comparison to the rest of the country - I learned that today so i had to throw it in :tongue2: )

*hands over mouth and face gets red*

Last edited:
Smurf said:
I'm going to be crude and say the prairies are full of rednecks and thus suffer from lower intelligence.

Good God.
:yuck:

Smurf said:
I'm going to be crude and say the prairies are full of rednecks and thus suffer from lower intelligence. (it's true that U of A has quite low entry standards by comparison to the rest of the country - I learned that today so i had to throw it in :tongue2: )

Well you know, we Texans are nothin' but a bunch of gun totin' hootin' and hollerin' rednecks ourselves! WOOWEEEEHHH!

Smurf said:

You just found out that us Americans are dumb now? Maybe you should be down here with us. You do realize that the majority of us Americans voted for Bush, that should have told you right away about the level of our inteligence :smile:

mattmns said:
You just found out that us Americans are dumb now? Maybe you should be down here with us. You do realize that the majority of us Americans voted for Bush, that should have told you right away about the level of our inteligence :smile:

Hey look, more cheap shots at the intelligence level of those who disagree with your political choice!
What I find amusing is the pure pretentiousness of it all! I mean, you don't even seem phased that, perhaps (and it could be argued easily with facts) that you are more likely to offend someone than find someone that agrees with your gross, and plainly immature, generalization.

Did I state my political choice? You just made a generalization about Texans, I made a generalization about Americans. I guess I thought you were being sarcastic, so I thought I would join you in this parade of sarcasm. I guess next time I will need to be more clear, so you Texans can understand what I am saying.

mattmns said:
Did I state my political choice? You just made a generalization about Texans, I made a generalization about Americans. I guess I thought you were being sarcastic, so I thought I would join you in this parade of sarcasm. I guess next time I will need to be more clear, so you Texans can understand what I am saying.

Lay it on a little thicker...there are plenty on this board that FULLY agree with "You do realize that the majority of us Americans voted for Bush, that should have told you right away about the level of our inteligence "

1. What is the current state of terrorist attacks in Canada?

The current state of terrorist attacks in Canada is relatively low compared to other countries. According to the Global Terrorism Index, Canada ranks 57th out of 163 countries in terms of terrorist activity. However, it is important to note that any terrorist attack, no matter how small, is a serious concern for Canadian security.

2. Have Canadians been involved in any major terrorist attacks?

Yes, there have been several major terrorist attacks involving Canadians. The most notable was the Air India bombing in 1985, which killed 329 people, including 280 Canadians. In recent years, there have also been attacks on Canadian soil, such as the 2014 shooting at Parliament Hill in Ottawa and the 2017 Quebec City mosque shooting.

3. What measures are in place to prevent terrorist attacks in Canada?

The Canadian government has implemented various measures to prevent terrorist attacks, including the creation of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) and the establishment of the Integrated Terrorism Assessment Centre (ITAC). Additionally, there are strict laws and regulations in place to monitor and prevent extremist activities, and security agencies collaborate with international partners to gather intelligence and prevent potential attacks.

4. Are Canadians at risk of being recruited by terrorist organizations?

There is always a risk of individuals being recruited by terrorist organizations, and unfortunately, some Canadians have been radicalized and joined such groups. The Canadian government has launched initiatives to counter radicalization and promote national security, such as the National Strategy on Countering Radicalization to Violence and the Canada Centre for Community Engagement and Prevention of Violence.

5. How does the Canadian government respond to terrorist attacks?

The Canadian government has a comprehensive response plan in place for terrorist attacks, which includes emergency response protocols and coordination with local law enforcement agencies. Additionally, there are programs and initiatives in place to support victims and their families, as well as efforts to strengthen security measures and prevent future attacks.