Canceling fractions when more than 1 variable in an equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the misconception that two or more variables cannot be on the same side of an equation when using the "same denominator" method for canceling out. The expert clarifies that this is not a rule and that equations with multiple variables on one side can still be solved by multiplying both sides by a non-zero constant. The expert also points out that the equations b3 and c4 provided are equivalent and correct. The conversation ends with the individual acknowledging their mistake and planning to review their notes for clarification.
neurohype
EDIT: If you're reading this and are still learning algebra basics, IGNORE this. I made a wrong assumption, thanks to MarkFL for pointing that out!

So far, I was led by my own assumptions to believe that this:

a1
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{5} + \frac{y}{2} = 7\)

could be turned into this:
a2
\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{10} + \frac{5y}{10} = \frac{70}{10}\)

to then cancel the denominators all across and get this:
a3
\(\displaystyle 2 + 5y = 70\)This seemed to work fine and did wonders until some of my answers did not match the textbook's answer section where equations had more than one variable on the same side. I just want to know: is this a rule of some sort or are my now corrected assumptions (can cancel out as long as different variables are on opposite side) invalid still? (I'll re-ask at the end of this post in case this post gets across as messy).

I'll demonstrate what I now believe to be wrong then what I believe to be right :

-- Believed Wrong: -------
b1
\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{5} + \frac{y}{2} = 7\)

is transformed into:
b2
\(\displaystyle \frac{2x}{10} + \frac{5y}{10} = \frac{70}{10}\)

cancels out to:
b3
\(\displaystyle 2x + 5y = 70\)

-- Believed Right: ---------
c1
\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{5} + \frac{y}{2} = 7\)

1st, make sure different different variables are transferred on different sides BEFORE canceling out method :
c2
\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{2} = \frac{-x}{5} + 7\)

c3
\(\displaystyle \frac{5y}{10} = \frac{-2x}{10} + \frac{70}{10}\)

c4
\(\displaystyle 5y = -2x + 70\)

(which you'd then do y = other side over 5, etc, I'm only illustrating the canceling out part)So just to recap, is it right to believe that canceling out using the "same denominator" method requires that no two or more different variables be on the same side of the equation?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your equations b3 and c4 are equivalent, just arranged differently. They are both correct as well. It doesn't matter if there is more than one variable on one side of an equation, you can always multiply both sides of an equation by a non-zero constant and get an equivalent equation.

MarkFL said:
Your equations b3 and c4 are equivalent, just arranged differently.

Hmm, you're right. Thanks a lot for the reply by the way.

I'll have to re-check my notes tonight (GMT-5 here so 7:28am) and see from the exact equations and not make them coincide like the ones I wrote off the bat above.

I'll leave as unsolved for the moment but will add where I screwed up with the actual data latest tomorrow.

Related to Canceling fractions when more than 1 variable in an equation

What is the rule for canceling fractions when there is more than one variable in an equation?

The rule for canceling fractions when there is more than one variable in an equation is to identify common factors in both the numerator and denominator of each fraction. Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by these common factors to eliminate the fractions.

Why is it important to cancel fractions when there is more than one variable in an equation?

Canceling fractions is important because it helps simplify the equation and makes it easier to solve. It also allows for easier manipulation of the equation to isolate a specific variable and find its value.

Can you cancel fractions with variables in both the numerator and denominator?

Yes, you can cancel fractions with variables in both the numerator and denominator. The same rule applies - identify common factors in both the numerator and denominator and divide them out to eliminate the fractions.

What happens if you don't cancel fractions in an equation with more than one variable?

If you don't cancel fractions in an equation with more than one variable, the equation will be more complex and difficult to solve. This can lead to errors and make it harder to find the solution or isolate a specific variable.

Are there any exceptions to the rule of canceling fractions when there is more than one variable in an equation?

No, there are no exceptions to the rule of canceling fractions when there is more than one variable in an equation. This rule applies to all equations with multiple variables and fractions.