1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cancelling confusion

1. Jul 3, 2007 #1
    hi

i'm confused at to how my textbook has done the following cancelling :S. hope you can clear things up for me :D

thnx

context: im looking at complex numbers and De Moivre's Theorem and its consequences Ill use \oslash as the "arguement".

1. [tex]z_{1}z_{2} = r_{1}r_{2}(cos\oslash_{1}cos\oslash_{2} - sin\oslash_{1}sin\oslash_{2} + i(cos\oslash_{1}sin\oslash_{2} + sin\oslash_{1}cos\oslash_{2}))[/tex]

which then cancels to

[tex]z_{1}z_{2} = r_{1}r_{2}(cos(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2}) + isin(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2}))[/tex]

I see how the [tex]cos(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2})[/tex] gets there, but not sure whats going on with the rest :S.

2. [tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r}*\frac{cos\oslash-isin\oslash}{(cos\oslash+isin\oslash)(cos\oslash-isin\oslash)}[/tex]

cancels to

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r}*(cos\oslash-isin\oslash)[/tex]

have no idea whats going on there lol.

hope you can help :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is just using the double angle formula for sine: sin(a+b)=sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b)
    Expand the denominator, and use the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1

4. Jul 3, 2007 #3
    thnx buddy :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?