Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Candyshop odour

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    I have noticed that distinctive candyshop odour in one part of my bicycling trips. Now as the saying goes "if something smells too good..." so I'm a little bit concerned. What is the chemical or chemicals that create that candyshop smell and can they be used for something dangerous?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2
    can be used for something dangerous? ?_?

First of all, all chemicals are dangerous, it's only a matter of dosage (look up LD50 and ED50).

And probably it's one or two sorts of candy that tickles your imagination. Maybe it's some biological or psychological imprint of a candyshop you visited as a child? Who knows, I am only speculating here.

But maybe some candy-chains have some distinct signature-flavour-odour to their shops to lure customers in there. I think that such scents could be very bad when produced, because synthesizing complex molecules like that and in abundance will require a great deal of energy and very complex rawmaterials.

The only dangerous I can think of visavi this candy-shop flavour (if my hypothesis holds) is that either the plant is inefficient or the chemical itself is very stable and lipophile etc.

4. Nov 21, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are probably smelling sugar. Yes, sugar in high enough quantities can be dangerous.

5. Nov 21, 2008 #4
    They all have the same odour for me. But it is very unusual to notice it outdoors. Thing is that the odour is about 150 meters (~165 yards) from the nearest buildings, which may or may not be the source.

Yes, but i was wondering if such chemicals were a byproduct of some other process.

6. Nov 21, 2008 #5
    I think plain sugar wouldn't, but strongly heated might. So someone is burning high quantities of sugar on a daily basis? At least there shouldn't be any power utilities nearby. Are there any other possible industrial uses for sugar?

7. Nov 21, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Your "candy store" smell could easily be emanating from a craft shop that makes scented candles. Those scents are very powerful and they persist in the air. There used to be a candle shop about a mile from where I worked, and I used to have to roll up my windows and shut off all ventilation until I got past it. On my motorcycle, I had to hold my breath for a few tenths of a mile to avoid having a medical emergency. It was bad.

8. Nov 21, 2008 #7
    This is possible. There are some candle shops there, but I don't know is there any manufacturing.

9. Nov 21, 2008 #8

turbo

Gold Member

It's easy to mold candles (very low-tech), and it is often done in small batches, to vary the colors and odors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?