Cannon Recoil and Initial Velocity

In summary: This is especially true for cannonballs- sometimes they are claimed to weigh as much as cars or trucks! Thankfully, in this question the author provided a reasonable, actual mass for the cannonball.
Koi9
So the question I'm asking about is actually from my analytical mechanics class, but I think my question is really more of a gen. physics question.

Basically, in this question we have a cannon ball, diameter(EDIT:but not mass!), fired with a given muzzle velocity, and we are given the cannon mass which is free to recoil. Does the fact that the cannon is free to recoil make it so that I can not use the given muzzle velocity for my initial velocity? EDIT:I would say I should use cons. of momentum (which i did at first)
, but the mass of the cannonball is not given.
Thanks guys,
Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Koi9 said:
So the question I'm asking about is actually from my analytical mechanics class, but I think my question is really more of a gen. physics question.

Basically, in this question we have a cannon ball, mass given, fired with a given muzzle velocity, and we are given the cannon mass which is free to recoil. Does the fact that the cannon is free to recoil make it so that I can not use the given muzzle velocity for my initial velocity? As in do i have to do some cons. of momentum to get the actual v initial?

Thanks guys,
Matt

Interesting point. Usually the mass of the gun/cannon is so much bigger than the bullet/ball that any difference is too small to worry about.

We often have a cannon of mass XX tonnes, while the ball only 1 or 2 kg, if that?

I would tend to use conservation of momentum just to be on the safe side: they did stress the ability to re-coil.

PeterO said:
Interesting point. Usually the mass of the gun/cannon is so much bigger than the bullet/ball that any difference is too small to worry about.

We often have a cannon of mass XX tonnes, while the ball only 1 or 2 kg, if that?

I would tend to use conservation of momentum just to be on the safe side: they did stress the ability to re-coil.

Thank you for the response, sorry but I completely messed up when stating my givens. All I know about the cannonball is that it is a "10cm diameter steel cannonball," I do not know its mass.

So unless my teacher expects us to look up the density of steel and calculate the mass (which I highly doubt), do you now think it would be safe to assume that the cannons weight and ability to recoil is irrelevant?

Koi9 said:
Thank you for the response, sorry but I completely messed up when stating my givens. All I know about the cannonball is that it is a "10cm diameter steel cannonball," I do not know its mass.

So unless my teacher expects us to look up the density of steel and calculate the mass (which I highly doubt), do you now think it would be safe to assume that the cannons weight and ability to recoil is irrelevant?
What mass did they give for the cannon. Some people give very unrealistic masses in questions. I have seen people claim cars of mass 600kg and trucks of mass 1200 kg before - along with train carriages of mass 2 tonnes.

PeterO said:
What mass did they give for the cannon. Some people give very unrealistic masses in questions. I have seen people claim cars of mass 600kg and trucks of mass 1200 kg before - along with train carriages of mass 2 tonnes.

the mass of the cannon is 40kg.

muzzle velocity of the cannonball is 100m/s

Koi9 said:
the mass of the cannon is 40kg.

muzzle velocity of the cannonball is 100m/s

Not much of a cannon!

density of steel is up to 8000kg per cubic metre, so a cannon ball that size has a mass around 30 kg.

You would definitely have to allow for the recoil.

Koi9 said:
...So unless my teacher expects us to look up the density of steel and calculate the mass (which I highly doubt), ...
Actually, that is a pretty reasonable thing for a teacher to expect. See if your physics textbook has a table or list of densities for various materials (check in the index under "density").

PeterO said:
Not much of a cannon!

density of steel is up to 8000kg per cubic metre, so a cannon ball that size has a mass around 30 kg.

You would definitely have to allow for the recoil.

By not much of a cannon, I mean notice that the entire cannon is moulded from 1.3 cannon balls worth of steel!
As I said, people often use very unrealistic masses for objects in Physics problems.

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity, also known as initial speed, is the speed at which an object is traveling at the beginning of its motion. It is the rate at which an object is changing its position with respect to time at the very start of its motion.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position of an object by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation: initial velocity = (final position - initial position) / time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the acceleration of the object by the time elapsed since it started moving.

3. Does initial velocity affect an object's final velocity?

Yes, initial velocity does affect an object's final velocity. An object's final velocity is the result of the initial velocity plus any changes in velocity due to acceleration. Therefore, if an object starts with a higher initial velocity, it will have a higher final velocity compared to an object with a lower initial velocity.

4. How does initial velocity relate to the laws of motion?

According to Newton's first law of motion, an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the initial velocity of an object will remain constant unless an external force, such as friction or gravity, acts upon it. Additionally, the second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the initial velocity of an object can also affect its acceleration.

5. Can initial velocity be negative?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. For example, if a car is initially moving westward, its initial velocity in the eastward direction would be considered negative.