Canonical perturbation theory

In summary, the conversation is about a perturbation problem involving an electron in a magnetic field. The first speaker made a mistake in their calculation, assuming there would be no first-order change in the energy levels. The second speaker suggests evaluating the expectation of the operator S_x in a superposition of states, which gives a different answer. There is disagreement about whether this approach is valid.
noospace

Homework Statement

An electron is inside a magnetic field oriented in the z-direction. No measurement of the electron has been made. A magnetic field in the x-direction is now switched on. Calculate the first-order change in the energy levels as a result of this perturbation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this wrong, claiming that the first order perturbation is zero. I said this because if you evaluate the expectation of the [itex]S_x[/itex] matrix in the states up/down individually, you obviously get zero since [itex]S_x[/itex] is anti-diagonal.

Apparently you are supposed to evaluate the expectation of [itex]S_x[/itex] in the superposition of states [itex]\psi = 1/\sqrt{2}(1,0)^T + 1/\sqrt{2}(0,1)^T[/itex]. I have trouble understanding this because [itex]\psi[/itex] is not an eigenstate of the orginial Hamiltonian, which it should be for canonical perturbation theory.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi noospace,

Something is very strange here. Assuming the z-direction magnetic field is large and the x-direction magnetic field is small, your calculation is correct. There is no first order change in the energy levels in such a situation. (One could just solve the complete problem trivially and see this fact.) Using eigenstates of the perturbation to calculate expectation values is certainly wrong. I suspect there is some kind of confusion here. Any ideas?

Hi Physics Monkey,

Thanks for your response. My lecturer's approach to this question is to evaluate the expectation of the operator [itex]S_x[/itex] in the superposition of states [itex]\psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} | 1/2 1/2 \rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}}|1/2 \pm 1/2\rangle[/itex]. The answer given is

[itex] \pm\frac{B_x\hbar}{2m_e}[/itex]

My lecturer claims that since [itex]| 1/2 1/2 \rangle, | 1/2 -1/2 \rangle[/itex] are separately eigenstates of the Hamiltonian then so should their superposition. I claim this is false since the sum of two eigenvectors need not be an eigenvector.

Who is correct?

What is canonical perturbation theory?

Canonical perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to study the behavior of a dynamical system that undergoes small changes in its parameters or initial conditions. It is particularly useful in celestial mechanics and other fields of physics.

Why is canonical perturbation theory important?

Canonical perturbation theory allows scientists to approximate the long-term behavior of a dynamical system without having to solve the complex equations of motion. This makes it a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems that are affected by small perturbations.

How does canonical perturbation theory work?

In canonical perturbation theory, the equations of motion are expanded in a series of powers of a small parameter, such as the ratio of the perturbation to the system's natural frequency. This allows for the construction of a series of increasingly accurate approximations to the true solution of the system.

What are some applications of canonical perturbation theory?

Canonical perturbation theory has a wide range of applications in fields such as celestial mechanics, astrodynamics, molecular dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It has also been used to study the stability of planetary systems, the motion of satellites, and the behavior of molecules in chemical reactions.

What are the limitations of canonical perturbation theory?

Canonical perturbation theory is most effective when the perturbations to the system are small. If the perturbations are too large, the series of approximations may not converge. In such cases, other techniques, such as numerical simulations, may be more appropriate.