Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical Transformation of the Hubbard Model

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    Hi,

Suppose we have a 2 site Hubbard model, with the hopping Hamiltonian given by [itex]H_t[/itex] and the Coulomb interaction Hamiltonian given by [itex]\hat{H}_U[/itex]. In the strong coupling limit (U/t >> 1), we define a canonical transformation of [itex]\hat{H} = \hat{H}_U + \hat{H}_t[/itex], as

[tex]H' = e^{-t\hat{O}}\hat{H}e^{t\hat{O}} = \hat{H} - t[\hat{O},\hat{H}] + \frac{t^2}{2}[\hat{O},[\hat{O},\hat{H}]] + \ldots[/tex]

Atland and Simons say (on page 63):

I don't get this. Even if this choice is made,

[tex]\hat{H} - t[\hat{O}, \hat{H}] = (\hat{H}_U - t[\hat{O},\hat{H}_t]) + \underbrace{(\hat{H}_t - t[\hat{O},\hat{H}_U])}_{\mbox{0 by choice}} = \hat{H}_U - t[\hat{O},\hat{H}_t][/tex]

So there's still a t-dependent first order term. What's wrong here?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

I would guess that O can be chosen so that it commutes with H_t.

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    upto first order in [itex]t[/itex]:

[itex] H_U + H_t - t[O,H_U] - t[O,H_t] [/itex] ... (Eq 1)

Now choosing [itex] H_t - t[O,H_U] =0 \Rightarrow H_t = t[O,H_U] [/itex]
    Put this back to Eq. 1, and you'll have no order [itex]t[/itex] term left.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. Sep 11, 2011 #4
    How is [itex]H_U - t[O, H_t] = 0[/itex]?

In fact

[tex]H_U - t[O, H_t] = H_U - t[O, t[O, H_U]] = H_U - t^2[O, O H_U - H_U O][/tex]

Are you using some projection property of the O, like [itex]O H_U O = 0[/itex] here?

6. Sep 11, 2011 #5

DrDu

Science Advisor

Don t forget that H_t is already first order in t, so t times it s commutator with O is second order.

7. Sep 11, 2011 #6
    Yes, that's what my last post says DrDu. But the [itex]t^2[/itex] term isn't zero -- or at least I don't see it.

Shouldn't the expression in the book then say [itex]O(t^2)[/itex] instead of [itex]O(t^3)[/itex]?

8. Sep 12, 2011 #7

DrDu

Science Advisor

As I understood your first post, the transformed hamiltonian in the book is explicitly written down including all second order terms and the third order terms are abbreviated O(t^3). So yes, there is a second order order term in the transformed hamiltonian but not a first order term any more as you originally claimed.

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8
    You don't want it to vanish. All I meant is, by that particular choice of operator [itex]\hat{O}[/itex] your Hamiltonian becomes [itex]H = H_U + \mathcal{O}(t^2)[/itex], which is what you deduce below.

When written in this way one can see that the [itex]\mathcal{O}(t^2)[/itex] are perturbations about the Hubbard [itex]U[/itex] term, i.e. your original system is a one with all electrons frozen at their lattice sites and then your introduce hopping by the [itex]t[/itex] terms. In fact the [itex]\mathcal{O}(t^2)[/itex] term is the Heisenberg model and represents super exchange which leads to effective spin flips.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook