Can't edit posts!

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think this is the best solution: After 30 minutes, you should automatically put an "EDIT:" before everything the person writes and not allow people to change anything they have already written. Of course, PF may not be set up to do that.
How is that any different from posting a new reply, except that a new reply keeps the chronological order of events, which is preferable anyway?

How is that any different from posting a new reply, except that a new reply keeps the chronological order of events, which is preferable anyway?
Haha, I edited my previous post after you wrote this and said "and also post a new reply" which now makes Hootenanny's response look incomplete and precisely proves everyone's point that editing privileges should be restricted. I give in.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Owned! :biggrin:

Secondly, some students who were seeking homework help were deleting their questions form their initial and subsequent posts so that the thread no longer made sense.
I have to say I have been a victim of such crime, but this was primarily due to the fact that it was an essay that I wrote. The title of the essay was given by the teacher and so anyone else who looked the title up on google would find my essay here! I was asking for some suggestions and guidance, but I didn't want someone else coming in on Monday morning with my essay!!

When I made a mistake I would usually do something like this:

EDIT: I made a mistake.
The important thing to note here is that this is what you would do. There are thousands more members, and I am sure there are a few who wouldn't

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, we all make typos. We figured a half hour was plenty long enough to read through after hitting the submit button and catch any major mistakes, or to add in an afterthought on something. After that, it hardly matters...if the typo is obvious and bad enough, someone will have already quoted it to laugh at it if it's a funny one. If it's just a small mistake somewhere, we all make those and nobody is going to get in a tizzy about it.
Even though I understand and sympathize with the reasons behind the change and I don't mind people getting chuckles from my typos, I disagree. I think 30 minutes is just too darned short.

I just made a post about a flood in my provincial capital, which I spelt incorrectly. People googling using the name I provided might get just enough enough information to prevent them from realizing my mistake, but not enough information to be useful.

Luckily, Jimmy found my mistake, but I saw his post a few minutes too late to change my spelling, and I would prefer that people not have to look below the first post to get the correct spelling.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you think it's more than just a minor error, you can report the post and request a correction be applied.

Evo
Mentor
Even though I understand and sympathize with the reasons behind the change and I don't mind people getting chuckles from my typos, I disagree. I think 30 minutes is just too darned short.

I just made a post about a flood in my provincial capital, which I spelt incorrectly. People googling using the name I provided might get just enough enough information to prevent them from realizing my mistake, but not enough information to be useful.

Luckily, Jimmy found my mistake, but I saw his post a few minutes too late to change my spelling, and I would prefer that people not have to look below the first post to get the correct spelling.
In cases like that, just ask a mentor to change the error.

Arg, this short post edit time is horrible!

There needs to be a way that PF lets its members knows when policies have been changed. It is absurd to make members come here and ask why they can't edit posts or why they can't do something they used to be able to. In the worst case, people could just get confused and think their memories are failing or something. You should send out an e-mail or put a very noticeable sign somewhere in the forum.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There needs to be a way that PF lets its members knows when policies have been changed. It is absurd to make members come here and ask why they can't edit posts or why they can't do something they used to be able to. In the worst case, people could just get confused and think their memories are failing or something. You should send out an e-mail or put a very noticeable sign somewhere in the forum.
We do, and you're in the forum where it's done.