Can't find any micrograph for glass

In summary: C6a5P1Jn3bUQM%253A%3BwYFVIn summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of finding micrographs of transparent glasses and the possibility of seeing the internal structure of such materials. There is a suggestion to approach a glass artist for more information and a mention of the internal stress/strain distribution in glass.
JezMoulton
I can only find micrographs (photographs of microstructure under electron microscope) of non-transparent glasses. Is it impossible top be able to see the internal structure of a transparent material?

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or find me one that would be great! I'm looking specifically for optical glass - the type that would be used in camera lenses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Again, however, there is only an SEM micrograph of a broken piece of glass.

Of a transparent piece of glass, as it is a microscope slide. Isn't this what you asked?

There's an SEM photo of a broken glass surface, but I see no slide. This seems to be related to Apple's iPad too.

Nice pictures, Mike. They hurt my head a bit, but nice nonetheless.

Jez, there's another possible approach to this that people interested in other fields might not have available since it's generally considered to be sort of at odds with science... art. One of my friends years ago was a glass-blower who made absolutely gorgeous creations. I don't think that he had any formal education in the physics or chemistry of glass, but he could instinctively work magic with a blowpipe and a pair of tongs. Maybe you could approach a glass artist and pick his/her brain a bit. I suggest this to you only because I don't know why you are interested in the subject and I like to keep all avenues open.

1. Why is it difficult to find micrographs of glass?

The main reason is that glass is a transparent material, making it difficult to capture clear images under a microscope. Additionally, the surface of glass is often smooth and reflective, causing difficulties in obtaining high-quality micrographs.

2. Is it possible to find micrographs of glass?

Yes, it is possible to find micrographs of glass, but they may be less common compared to other materials. It may require more extensive research and specific techniques to obtain clear and detailed micrographs of glass.

3. Can I use any microscope to view micrographs of glass?

Not all microscopes are suitable for viewing micrographs of glass. A stereomicroscope or a scanning electron microscope (SEM) is often used to obtain clear images of glass due to their ability to capture images at different angles and magnifications.

4. What factors can affect the quality of micrographs for glass?

The quality of micrographs for glass can be affected by several factors, including the type of microscope used, the preparation technique, and the quality of the glass sample. Other factors such as lighting, magnification, and focus can also impact the clarity and detail of the micrograph.

5. Are there any techniques to improve the visibility of glass in micrographs?

Yes, there are several techniques that can improve the visibility of glass in micrographs. These include using specialized lighting techniques, adjusting the microscope's contrast and brightness settings, and using different types of staining or coating to enhance the glass's features and structure.