Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't find any micrograph for glass

1. Oct 30, 2014 #1
    I can only find micrographs (photographs of microstructure under electron microscope) of non-transparent glasses. Is it impossible top be able to see the internal structure of a transparent material?

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong or find me one that would be great! I'm looking specifically for optical glass - the type that would be used in camera lenses.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2
  4. Nov 1, 2014 #3
    Again, however, there is only an SEM micrograph of a broken piece of glass.

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4
    Of a transparent piece of glass, as it is a microscope slide. Isn't this what you asked?

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5
    There's an SEM photo of a broken glass surface, but I see no slide. This seems to be related to Apple's iPad too.

7. Nov 1, 2014 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

8. Nov 1, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Nice pictures, Mike. They hurt my head a bit, but nice nonetheless.

Jez, there's another possible approach to this that people interested in other fields might not have available since it's generally considered to be sort of at odds with science... art. One of my friends years ago was a glass-blower who made absolutely gorgeous creations. I don't think that he had any formal education in the physics or chemistry of glass, but he could instinctively work magic with a blowpipe and a pair of tongs. Maybe you could approach a glass artist and pick his/her brain a bit. I suggest this to you only because I don't know why you are interested in the subject and I like to keep all avenues open.

9. Nov 3, 2014 #8

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook