Can't interpret the question

• Thread starter cd19
  • Start date
In summary, an object of 4 kg is released from rest at a height of 10 m and takes 20 ms to come to a complete stop after striking the ground. Assuming it exerts a constant force F on the ground during this time, the magnitude of F is found to be 2800N.
cd19
An object of mass 4 kg is released from rest at a height of 10 m. After striking the ground it take 20ms before it is brought to rest. Assuming that the object exerts a constant force F on the ground during the 20ms interval then what is the magnitude of F?

Having trouble understanding the question, would appreciate if someone could put it into perspective.

Physics news on Phys.org
cd19 said:
An object of mass 4 kg is released from rest at a height of 10 m. After striking the ground it take 20ms before it is brought to rest. Assuming that the object exerts a constant force F on the ground during the 20ms interval then what is the magnitude of F?

Having trouble understanding the question, would appreciate if someone could put it into perspective.

Welcome to PF.

Consider the speed that the object has acquired by falling 10m.

F = m*a = m*Δv/Δt = Δmv / Δt

I have found the speed acquired by falling 10m to be 14 ms (m*g*h=1/2*m*v^2). but I still can't comprehend what to do next.

Remember what force is. F=ma, with a the acceleration as you know. Once the object hits the ground it goes from 14m/s to 0s in 20ms. This means it is decelerating. It has mass and it is decelerating that sounds like the two essential components to calculate the force. The basic question is what is its deceleration?

cd19 said:
I have found the speed acquired by falling 10m to be 14 ms (m*g*h=1/2*m*v^2). but I still can't comprehend what to do next.

F = m*a = m*Δv/Δt = Δmv / Δt

you know m,
you know v,
you know Δt ...

ah i see, I've been reading the question wrong, I'll put it down to tiredness. I kept thinking 20 ms was 20 ms^-1. how stupid. I found the force to be 2800N, which i feel is correct. thanks very much for the quick reply's.

cd19 said:
I found the force to be 2800N, which i feel is correct. thanks very much for the quick reply's.

Looks right.

Good Luck.

1. Can you give an example of a question that is difficult to interpret?

One example of a question that is difficult to interpret is "What is the meaning of life?" This is a deep and philosophical question that can have multiple interpretations depending on the person's beliefs and perspective.

2. How do you know if a question is unclear?

A question is considered unclear if it lacks specific details or is too broad. It can also be unclear if it contains ambiguous or confusing language that can be interpreted in multiple ways.

3. What should I do if I can't interpret a question?

If you are having trouble interpreting a question, it is best to ask for clarification from the person who asked it. You can also try breaking down the question into smaller parts or rephrasing it in your own words to better understand it.

4. Why is it important to interpret questions correctly?

Interpreting questions correctly is important because it allows us to gather accurate information and provide relevant answers. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings and confusion in communication.

5. Are there any tips for interpreting questions effectively?

Some tips for interpreting questions effectively include reading the question carefully, paying attention to keywords and context, and asking for clarification if needed. It can also be helpful to take a moment to think about the question before responding.