Can't use formula for kinetic energy 1/2*mv^2?

In summary: The velocity is v=1/2*mv^2, but the energy is still mgL. Similarly, a point 1/4 way out is at a distance L/4 from the pivot and has a velocity of v=1/4*mv^2, and so on.You are right that the m cancels out, but each point along the rod has a different L and v. Think of a point 1/2 way out. It is at a distance L/2 from the pivot. The velocity is v=1/2*mv^2, but the energy is still mgL. Similarly, a point 1/4 way out is at a distance L/4 from the
Warlic
upload_2015-11-19_15-50-29.png

Question number 1; find the angular speed.

I imagine a point mass at the very top, it has potential energy mgL, this is converted to kinetic energy 1/2*mv^2.
I put them equal to each other and say that v=ωL. This gives me ω=sqrt(2g/L), the answer is supposed to be ω=sqrt(3g/L).
upload_2015-11-19_15-55-36.png

Why can't I do it like I did it? Is it wrong to use the formula for kinetic energy (1/2)mv^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution assumes all of the mass is at the top of the bar. Actually the mass is distributed along the bar. You could do it your way by assuming a string of point masses, each of length dL and mass m/L dL, then integrating along the length of the bar.

You can't use the formula for translational kinetic energy, because every point of the rod has a different velocity depending on its position. You would have to integrate the kinetic energy of all the infinite small slices of mass along the rod.

phyzguy said:
Your solution assumes all of the mass is at the top of the bar. Actually the mass is distributed along the bar. You could do it your way by assuming a string of point masses, each of length dL and mass m/L dL, then integrating along the length of the bar.
But if mgL=1/2*mv^2, then I can just cross out m on both sides, and it shouldn't have anything to say?

Warlic said:
But if mgL=1/2*mv^2, then I can just cross out m on both sides, and it shouldn't have anything to say?

No, that's not possible, because in the formula for translational kinetic energy the entire mass (every mass point) is supposed to have the same velocity.

Likes Warlic
Warlic said:

You are right that the m cancels out, but each point along the rod has a different L and v. Think of a point 1/2 way out. It is at a distance L/2 from the pivot.

Likes Warlic

1. Why can't I use the formula for kinetic energy 1/2*mv^2?

The formula for kinetic energy, 1/2*mv^2, is only applicable to objects moving at non-relativistic speeds. If the object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light, the formula becomes inaccurate and needs to be modified.

2. What happens when an object is moving at relativistic speeds?

When an object is moving at relativistic speeds, the formula for kinetic energy becomes more complex and involves other factors such as the object's mass and the speed of light. This is due to the effects of special relativity.

3. How do I calculate kinetic energy for objects moving at relativistic speeds?

To calculate kinetic energy for objects moving at relativistic speeds, you need to use the formula E = mc^2 / sqrt(1 - v^2/c^2), where E is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. Can I use the formula for kinetic energy for all types of motion?

No, the formula for kinetic energy is specifically for objects moving in a straight line at constant speeds. It cannot be used for rotational or circular motion.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of the kinetic energy formula?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the kinetic energy formula, such as air resistance, friction, and other external forces acting on the object. These factors may need to be taken into account for more precise calculations.