1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can't use formula for kinetic energy 1/2*mv^2?

1. Nov 19, 2015 #1
    upload_2015-11-19_15-50-29.png

Question number 1; find the angular speed.

I imagine a point mass at the very top, it has potential energy mgL, this is converted to kinetic energy 1/2*mv^2.
    I put them equal to each other and say that v=ωL. This gives me ω=sqrt(2g/L), the answer is supposed to be ω=sqrt(3g/L).

upload_2015-11-19_15-55-36.png

Why cant I do it like I did it? Is it wrong to use the formula for kinetic energy (1/2)mv^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Your solution assumes all of the mass is at the top of the bar. Actually the mass is distributed along the bar. You could do it your way by assuming a string of point masses, each of length dL and mass m/L dL, then integrating along the length of the bar.

4. Nov 19, 2015 #3
    You can't use the formular for translational kinetic energy, because every point of the rod has a different velocity depending on its position. You would have to integrate the kinetic energy of all the infinte small slices of mass along the rod.

5. Nov 19, 2015 #4
    But if mgL=1/2*mv^2, then I can just cross out m on both sides, and it shouldnt have anything to say?

6. Nov 19, 2015 #5
    No, that's not possible, because in the formula for translational kinetic energy the entire mass (every mass point) is supposed to have the same velocity.

7. Nov 19, 2015 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You are right that the m cancels out, but each point along the rod has a different L and v. Think of a point 1/2 way out. It is at a distance L/2 from the pivot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted