Capacitance in Parallel and in Series

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equivalent capacitance of a combination of capacitors, with given values of C1, C2, and C3. The equations for parallel and series capacitors are mentioned, and the correct answer is determined to be 3.16 nF.
islandboy401

Homework Statement

In the FIGURE (shown below in "attempt at solution" section), find the equivalent capacitance of the combination. Assume that C1=10 nF; C2 = 5 nF; and C3 = 4 nF.

Homework Equations

For parallel capacitors: Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 +...

For series capacitors:
Series%20Capacitance.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

number%209.jpg

My answer is 4.74 nF though my answer key says 3.16 nF. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
in series : [tex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{C_{1}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{C_{2}}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{C_{3}}[/tex]... etc

in parallel [tex]{C_{eq}[/tex] = [tex]{C_{1}[/tex] + [tex]{C_{2}[/tex] + [tex]{C_{3}[/tex] ... etc

basically the opposite to resistance

so from your diagram... (C1 // C2) + C3

so it should be [tex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{10 + 5}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

so [tex]C_{eq}[/tex] = 3.16nF

hopefully that helps

Thanks...I understand what I did wrong.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a body to store an electrical charge. It is measured in farads (F).

What is the difference between capacitance in parallel and in series?

In parallel, the total capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances. In series, the total capacitance is given by the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual capacitances.

How does capacitance affect the flow of current?

Capacitance is the ability to store charge, so in a circuit, it can temporarily hold a charge and affect the flow of current. In parallel, capacitance can increase the total current, while in series, it decreases the total current.

What is the formula for calculating total capacitance in parallel?

The formula for calculating total capacitance in parallel is C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ... + Cn, where C is the total capacitance and C1-Cn are the individual capacitances.

Are there any practical applications of capacitance in parallel and in series?

Yes, there are many practical applications of capacitance in parallel and in series, such as in electronic circuits, power transmission systems, and energy storage devices.