Capacitive/inductive reactance in a series-parallel circuit

In summary, the conversation revolves around designing a crossover for audio speakers. The first speaker has a capacitor in series with a 4 ohm tweeter to serve as a high-pass filter. The capacitor value was calculated using the capacitive reactance equation to filter the speaker at 2.2khz. The second speaker has an inductor connected in parallel to the subwoofer in order to block high frequencies. The conversation also touches upon the complexity of calculating filters and the importance of crossover frequency and filter response. The speaker design is a crucial factor in achieving good sound quality.
INTP_ty
I wired a capacitor in series with a 4 ohm tweeter speaker to serve as a high-pass filter. I used the capacitive reactance equation to figure my capacitor value to filter the speaker at 2.2khz.

Xc=1/2PiFC

4=1/2Pi(2200)C

Solve for C and you get .00001809 Farads or 18uF.

And?It sounds like something you'd buy from one of those big box stores. It sounds terrible. I'm running out of x-max on the tweeter & it's distorting at higher volumes. I want to turn my mediocre 1st order crossover into a 2nd order filter so I don't burn out the voice coil & destroy my tweeters. So, toss an inductor across the terminals of the speaker. That's the issue though. I don't know how to integrate (not literally) the inductive reactance equation...

Can I just simply plug in 2200 for frequency, 4 for Xl, & solve for L?

.32mHI'm asking because I'm not sure if the capacative/inductive reactance equations only apply when the capacitor or inductors are in series with the load. The inductor is "shunting" to ground here so...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

INTP_ty said:
big box stores

not sure what a big box store is ?

18uF is a standard value, get one rated around 100V to be safe ( higher than needed is better)
and it's going to be a non-polarised electrolytic capacitor most component parts stores should be able to supply
or eBay or Amazon etcDave

There is a lot more to crossover design than just cutting the lows to the tweeter. The audio out from the low and high end speakers add and the filter phase shifts cause notches and or peaks (terrible sounding, BTW). You need to match the high and low frequency drivers with properly matched filters that take into consideration the driver efficiency, speaker orientation, and so on.

http://www.audioholics.com/diy-audio/building-a-do-it-yourself-loudspeaker-design/crossover-design is a random site from a search for "audio crossover design"

davenn said:
not sure what a big box store is ?Dave

Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc...

The last place a professional (audio/recording engineer) would turn to for studio monitors.

So the reactance equations apply to both seried & paralleled components? I.e. I wire an inductor in series with a subwoofer to block/suppress high-er frequencies & I wire an inductor in parallel with said subwoofer to ...not even sure how that circuit would model. Either case, you use the same inductive reactance equation?

Reason I brought it up is because when calculating Rtotal in a purely resistive series circuit, you simply add the resistances up, but when they're paralleled it's 1/R + 1/R2 ...etc

Didn't know if that, uh, inverse operation applied to the reactance equations now that we have an inductor paralleled -not seried to the load, the tweeter.
Also, are there any rule of thumbs when it comes to crossover points? For instance, 4th order you want your mid 250 hertz down from your tweeter, 3rd order 500 down, 2nd order 1khz down...etc. It is suggested that I cross my mid 1.8khz. After 2.2khz, break up becomes a real problem.MeBigGuy, I just caught your post as I was typing this up. I do read/lurk several forums & to be completely honest w/ you, it is my opinion that 99% of the users on those forums have no idea what they're talking about. I called up tech support from two different companies -ones out of Springboro,OH & the other out of Wisconsin, and niether of the techs knew how to do it by hand. They all rely on software. If I keep using calculators, I'll never learn. End rant.

Last edited:
Calculating filters is complex (pun intended). Inductors and capacitors are represented by complex numbers, which contains their "phase" information. So, any operations you do need to deal with complex numbers (also represented as laplace transforms)

So, depending to the filter response you need (like butterworth, chebyschev, eliptical, gaussian, etc) you need to resort to synthesis tables to get polynomial coefficients, and then scale the filter to high pass, low pass, or bandpass. It's not something one typically does with a pencil and paper.

You can look at some filter synthesis tutorials to understand why it is done with computer programs.

And read about crossover basics, like crossover frequency and filter response for least phase distortion.
http://sound.westhost.com/lr-passive.htm

INTP_ty said:
Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc...

The last place a professional (audio/recording engineer) would turn to for studio monitors.

So the reactance equations apply to both seried & paralleled components? I.e. I wire an inductor in series with a subwoofer to block/suppress high-er frequencies & I wire an inductor in parallel with said subwoofer to ...not even sure how that circuit would model. Either case, you use the same inductive reactance equation?

Reason I brought it up is because when calculating Rtotal in a purely resistive series circuit, you simply add the resistances up, but when they're paralleled it's 1/R + 1/R2 ...etc

Didn't know if that, uh, inverse operation applied to the reactance equations now that we have an inductor paralleled -not seried to the load, the tweeter.
Also, are there any rule of thumbs when it comes to crossover points? For instance, 4th order you want your mid 250 hertz down from your tweeter, 3rd order 500 down, 2nd order 1khz down...etc. It is suggested that I cross my mid 1.8khz. After 2.2khz, break up becomes a real problem.MeBigGuy, I just caught your post as I was typing this up. I do read/lurk several forums & to be completely honest w/ you, it is my opinion that 99% of the users on those forums have no idea what they're talking about. I called up tech support from two different companies -ones out of Springboro,OH & the other out of Wisconsin, and niether of the techs knew how to do it by hand. They all rely on software. If I keep using calculators, I'll never learn. End rant.
It is very hard to obtain perfection except with good lab facilities. I suggest you reduce the capacitor to give a higher cross over frequency and to cut out the energy at lower freqs which is overloading the tweeter. You possibly only need the tweeter for freqs above, say, 10 kHz.

tech99 said:
It is very hard to obtain perfection except with good lab facilities. I suggest you reduce the capacitor to give a higher cross over frequency and to cut out the energy at lower freqs which is overloading the tweeter. You possibly only need the tweeter for freqs above, say, 10 kHz.

I can't raise the crossover point. I'm limited by the upper end extension of the mid. That's why I needed verification on how to go about choosing the correct inductor value to turn my filter to one of 2nd order. Why are there two curves present?Regardless, both curves are pretty flat beyond 2khz which goes against what every user had to say about them. On the one, it doesn't look like it's starting to break up til 4khz

See attached

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 467

1. What is capacitive/inductive reactance?

Capacitive and inductive reactance are two types of opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit. Capacitive reactance is caused by the presence of a capacitor in the circuit, while inductive reactance is caused by the presence of an inductor. Both types of reactance are measured in ohms and are part of the total impedance of a circuit.

2. How are capacitive/inductive reactance calculated?

Capacitive reactance is calculated using the formula XC = 1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency of the AC signal and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. Inductive reactance is calculated using the formula XL = 2πfL, where L is the inductance of the inductor. These calculations take into account the frequency and components of the circuit to determine the amount of opposition to the current flow.

3. What is the difference between capacitive/inductive reactance and resistance?

Capacitive and inductive reactance are both types of opposition to the flow of AC, while resistance is the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC). Resistance is a constant value, while reactance varies with the frequency of the AC signal. Additionally, resistance dissipates energy in the form of heat, while reactance stores and releases energy in the electric and magnetic fields of the capacitor and inductor.

4. How do capacitive/inductive reactance affect the overall impedance of a circuit?

Capacitive and inductive reactance are components of the total impedance of a circuit. The total impedance is the combination of resistance, capacitive reactance, and inductive reactance. The reactance values can either add to or cancel out the resistance, depending on the frequency of the AC signal. This can result in a lower or higher overall impedance in the circuit.

5. How are capacitive/inductive reactance used in practical applications?

Capacitive and inductive reactance are important components in designing and analyzing AC circuits. They are used in applications such as power factor correction, filtering, and frequency selection. They are also important in understanding the behavior of motors, transformers, and other electrical devices that use AC power.