What is the relationship between capacitance and leakage current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between conductor plates in parallel, applied voltage, capacitance, and leakage current. It is stated that when a small voltage is applied, the leakage current is negligible and not detectable. However, at higher voltages, the amount of leakage current increases and could potentially be high enough to shock a person. The type of current flowing in the air dielectric is also questioned, with the conclusion that it is constantly charging the capacitance due to the alternating current. It is also mentioned that living near high voltage power lines is generally safe as there is no leakage current unless there is a broken power pole. The 3 phases in the 3 lines also tend to cancel each other out, resulting in a
samieee
1)Suppose I've taken two conductor plate in parallel and air is in between them.now if i apply a voltage across them then capacitance would form in between them and there must be some leakage current but they are very negligible that's why it can't be detectable.But if apply 500KV across two small plate then the amount of leakage current must be higher isn't it?is that amount of leakage current high enough to get shocked if I put my hand between the two plates?

2)leakage current flows by jumping of electrons.what type is it dc or ac?or its not like that?

3)what is the relationship between capacitance and leakage current?are they proportional or inversely proportional?

all these madly questions arose in my mind from the following thinking:Above us there is high voltage transmission line;below there is ground.Then in the middle there is air.So capacitance will form and also there should be some leakage current.So it would be a frequent incident that we people getting shocked.But we don't feel any shock,why? Then I answered myself: this leakage current is very very negligible so we don't feel any shock,if the amount was high then we definitely feel shock.But we are logically fortunate this
amount is not high.

But still I am not confident about my own answer.that's why I am asking these to you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is some discussion about whether it is safe to live near high voltage power lines.

There is no leakage current until the voltage becomes high enough to cause an arc-over between the power line and ground. This should never happen unless the power pole is broken and the line gets close to the ground.

However, the power line carries AC and this is constantly charging the capacitance to ground with a different potential. So, there would be some current flowing in the air dielectric because of this.

On the other hand, there are usually 3 high voltage wires. The 3 phases in the 3 lines tend to cancel each other out as far as charging the capacitance to ground is concerned, because they are 120 degrees out of phase with each other. So, their net voltage will be close to zero.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, it causes a buildup of electric charge, which can then be discharged when needed.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by storing electrical charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, and the capacitor can store energy in this field. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, the stored energy can be released.

3. What is leakage current in a capacitor?

Leakage current is the small amount of current that flows through a capacitor even when it is supposed to be storing charge. This can occur due to imperfections in the capacitor's dielectric material or due to external factors such as temperature or humidity. It is important to minimize leakage current as it can affect the performance of a circuit.

4. How is leakage current measured?

Leakage current is typically measured by applying a voltage to the capacitor and then measuring the current flowing through it. This can be done using a multimeter or specialized equipment known as a leakage current tester. The measured current is usually very small, on the order of microamps or nanoamps.

5. How can leakage current be reduced?

Leakage current can be reduced by using high-quality capacitors with low leakage specifications, selecting the appropriate dielectric material for the application, and ensuring proper storage and handling of the capacitor. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity should be considered and controlled to minimize leakage current.