Can a Capacitor Have a Positive and Negative Plate Charge?

However, theoretically it is possible to have a capacitor with one plate charged with +Q and another charged with -K, as long as K≠Q. This would require a complex circuit with multiple power sources. The equation C=Q/ΔV still applies, but the values for Q and ΔV would need to be carefully calculated.
Legendon

Homework Statement

Is is possible to have capacitor with one plate charge +Q and another charge -K, K≠Q.

Homework Equations

C=Q/ΔV.
Because i wouldn't know what to substitute for Q..

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think it is possible for a capacitor connected to a single battery in a simple circuit. But is it possible ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Legendon said:

Homework Statement

Is is possible to have capacitor with one plate charge +Q and another charge -K, K≠Q.

Homework Equations

C=Q/ΔV.
Because i wouldn't know what to substitute for Q..

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think it is possible for a capacitor connected to a single battery in a simple circuit. But is it possible ?
In a practical sense, no it's not possible.

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied across the plates, an electric field is created, and the capacitor stores energy in this field. The amount of charge a capacitor can hold depends on its capacitance, which is determined by the size of the plates and the distance between them.

2. What is the difference between a capacitor and a battery?

A capacitor and a battery both store electrical energy, but they do so in different ways. A battery stores energy chemically, while a capacitor stores energy in an electric field. This means that batteries can provide a steady source of energy over a longer period, while capacitors can discharge their energy quickly but have a limited capacity.

3. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

Choosing the right capacitor for your circuit depends on several factors, such as the required capacitance, voltage rating, and size. It is important to consider the capacitance needed for your circuit and choose a capacitor with a voltage rating higher than the maximum voltage in your circuit. The size of the capacitor can also affect its performance, so it is essential to choose one that fits within your circuit's space constraints.

4. Can a capacitor be used as a battery?

No, a capacitor cannot be used as a battery. While both store electrical energy, they do so in different ways, as mentioned earlier. A capacitor's energy storage is limited and is quickly discharged, whereas a battery can provide a steady source of energy for a longer time.

5. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

Capacitors have various applications in circuits, including filtering out noise, smoothing out voltage fluctuations, and helping with power factor correction. They can also be used in timing circuits, energy storage, and signal coupling. The specific purpose of a capacitor in a circuit depends on the type of circuit and its components.