How can the discharge rate of a capacitor be controlled?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of replacing batteries with capacitors and how to control the discharge rate of a capacitor. It is mentioned that the voltage curve of a capacitor depends on the load current and that a voltage regulator may be needed for certain applications.
Hamza Abbasi
Hi , Can we replace battery with capacitor?? I know that energy stored in a battery is far greater than in the capacitors ,but still can we some how convert a charged capacitor into a temporary battery?? So the Question is how to control the discharge rate of capacitor? Is this have something to do with RC Time constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Changing the resictance would be an obvious way to go.

LittleMrsMonkey said:
Changing the resictance would be an obvious way to go.
Is there some IC or something like that for slowing the discharging rate exponentially?

See "ultracapacitors" for some applications where the batteries are replaced by capacitors.

From what I seen, the voltage decreases a lot more sharply during discharge than in a battery.

Likes davenn
Batteries approximate to a constant voltage source, a capacitor doesn't. For a capacitor..

Q=CV
I = CdV/dt
so
dV/dt = I/C

So the voltage "curve" depends on the load current. If you discharge at a constant current the voltage falls in a straight line. If it's a constant resistance load you get the classic exponential curve.

If the load must get a constant voltage (not all need that) then some sort of voltage regulator, perhaps a switching type, can be used to provide it.

You don't always need a voltage regulator. The motor in an electric car for example doesn't necessarily need a constant voltage but it does need some form of speed control. It may well be possible to build one control unit that accepts the variable voltage from a capacitor and outputs whatever the motor requires.

Likes Hamza Abbasi and davenn

Related to How can the discharge rate of a capacitor be controlled?

What is capacitor discharging rate?

Capacitor discharging rate refers to the rate at which a capacitor releases stored electrical energy. This is typically measured in units of time, such as seconds or milliseconds.

Why is capacitor discharging rate important?

The discharging rate of a capacitor is important because it determines how quickly the capacitor can be recharged and used again. It also affects the stability and performance of electronic circuits that use capacitors.

What factors affect capacitor discharging rate?

The discharging rate of a capacitor can be affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage across the capacitor.

How can I calculate capacitor discharging rate?

The discharging rate of a capacitor can be calculated using the equation t = RC, where t is the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge, R is the resistance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

How can I decrease the capacitor discharging rate?

The discharging rate of a capacitor can be decreased by increasing the resistance in the circuit or by decreasing the capacitance of the capacitor. Using a higher voltage supply can also slow down the discharging rate.