Solve Capacitor Problem: C1,C2,C3 Charge/Voltage

• Thread starter tracie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, C1 is connected to the 120V source until it is fully charged, then it becomes the emf source. C1 will discharge while C2 and C3 will charge. The charge on C1 and C23 will not be equal, since they are not in series. But you've already found the initial charge on C1--how does that relate to the final charges? Once you answer those two questions, you can write them down as two equations.
tracie

Homework Statement

Initially, a 120V emf is connected to C1 by a switch. When the switch is flipped C1 is connected to C2 and C3 in series. What are the charge and potential difference across each capacitor?
C1 = 15 uF
C2 = 16 uF
C3 = 30 uF

Homework Equations

C= q/V
1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially with C1 is only connected to the 120V source it will charge to 120V. Once the switch is flipped C1 will become the emf source. C1 will discharge while C2 and C3 will charge.
The initial charge on C1 I found to be Qi=CV=(15uF)(120V)= 1800 uC
Since C1, C2 and C3 are in series, the charge on the capacitors will be the same (Q1=Q2=Q3). I assume that Qi = Q1 + Q2 + Q3, as in the charge will distribute evenly within the new circuit. So Q1=600 uC. So the charge on each capacitor is Q=600 uC. But this isn't right.
The potential difference across each capacitor would then be V=Q/C.
So V1=Q/C1, V2 = Q/C2, V3=Q/C3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tracie,

tracie said:

Homework Statement

Initially, a 120V emf is connected to C1 by a switch. When the switch is flipped C1 is connected to C2 and C3 in series. What are the charge and potential difference across each capacitor?
C1 = 15 uF
C2 = 16 uF
C3 = 30 uF

Homework Equations

C= q/V
1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/Cn

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially with C1 is only connected to the 120V source it will charge to 120V. Once the switch is flipped C1 will become the emf source. C1 will discharge while C2 and C3 will charge.
The initial charge on C1 I found to be Qi=CV=(15uF)(120V)= 1800 uC
Since C1, C2 and C3 are in series,

I don't believe this is right. C2 and C3 are in series, but C1 is not in series with them. So C2 and C3 have to have the same charge, but C1 does not (necessarily) have the same charge as the others. So how are the capacitors related to each other?

alphysicist said:
So how are the capacitors related to each other?

I know that capacitors in series q=q1+q2, V=V1+V2, and C=q/V.
After the switch is flipped, can I strictly treat C1 as a emf source? I guess I don't understand how to relate the simple series capacitor problem to the charge on C1 as well as the potential difference on C1. I assumed that (since the problem didn't state otherwise) that C1 was connected to the 120V source until fully charged (charged to 120V). I thought after the switch is flipped that the potential difference on C1 would still be 120V, but that isn't right.
A little help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

tracie said:
I know that capacitors in series q=q1+q2, V=V1+V2, and C=q/V.
In series, q=q1=q2
After the switch is flipped, can I strictly treat C1 as a emf source? I guess I don't understand how to relate the simple series capacitor problem to the charge on C1 as well as the potential difference on C1. I assumed that (since the problem didn't state otherwise) that C1 was connected to the 120V source until fully charged (charged to 120V). I thought after the switch is flipped that the potential difference on C1 would still be 120V, but that isn't right.
A little help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would go ahead and combine C2 and C3 into an equivalent capacitance C23. (You can undo them later.) Now think about how C1 and C23 are related. The important questions: how is the voltage of C1 and C23 related? How are the final charges on C1 and C23 related? The charges on C1 and C23 will not be equal, since they are not in series. But you've already found the initial charge on C1--how does that relate to the final charges?

Once you answer those two questions, you can write them down as two equations. At that point you should be able to use the capacitor equation C=Q/V to help solve for C1 and C23.

(A few hours from now I'll be going out of town for several days and won't be able to respond--so if you still have questions I'm not ignoring you.)

alphysicist said:
In series, q=q1=q2

Thank you for correcting my typo.

I guess I can relate C23 to C1 by
initial charge on C1= q1 + q23 (since charge is conserved)
Since I calculated initial charge on C1 and I can calculate q23 from q23=C23*V, then I can get q1. Since q2=q3, q23/2 = q2 = q3.
I then can say V2= q2/C2 and V3=q3/C3.
From V=V1 + V2 + V3, I have V=120V and I just found V2 and V3, so I can find V1.

Is that the right direction?

tracie said:
Thank you for correcting my typo.

I guess I can relate C23 to C1 by
initial charge on C1= q1 + q23 (since charge is conserved)
Right, this is the equation you want to work with. (initial charge on C1) is just a number you know, and q1 and q23 are unknowns.

Since I calculated initial charge on C1 and I can calculate q23 from q23=C23*V

That's the right kind of idea; but V is an unknown. (It drops from 120 as the charges spread out.) But you can use the fact that V is the same for both C1 and C23. For example, you can use the relationship you're talking about to get rid of both q1 and q23 in your equation, and then you'll have one equation with one unknown.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a component in an electrical circuit that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, or dielectric.

How do I calculate the total capacitance of a circuit with multiple capacitors?

To calculate the total capacitance, you can use the formula C = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where C1, C2, C3 are the capacitance values of individual capacitors. If the capacitors are connected in parallel, the total capacitance is the sum of all the individual capacitances. If they are connected in series, the total capacitance can be calculated using the formula 1/C = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ...

How do I calculate the charge stored in a capacitor?

The charge stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. This means that the charge is directly proportional to the capacitance and the voltage.

What is the relationship between voltage and capacitance in a capacitor?

The relationship between voltage and capacitance is inversely proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa.

How do I solve a capacitor problem using Kirchhoff's laws?

To solve a capacitor problem using Kirchhoff's laws, you can apply the loop rule and the junction rule. The loop rule states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. The junction rule states that the sum of all currents entering a junction must equal the sum of all currents leaving the junction. By applying these rules, you can create a system of equations to solve for the unknown variables in the circuit, including the capacitance values.