Solve 10.0 µF Capacitor Problem: Find Value of C

• Thread starter SamTsui86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, a 10.0 µF capacitor, initially charged to 10.0 V, is connected in parallel to an initially uncharged capacitor with an unknown capacitance C. The resulting voltage across each capacitor is 4.00 V, indicating a total capacitance of 0.000025 F and a value of 15 µF for C. The charge is conserved and distributed across the two capacitors in parallel, leading to the final voltage of 4.00 V.
SamTsui86

Homework Statement

A 10.0 µF capacitor is fully charged across a 10.0 V battery. The capacitor is then disconnected from the battery and connected across an initially uncharged capacitor with capacitance C. The resulting voltage across each capacitor is 4.00 V. What is the value of C?

Homework Equations

V= Q/C

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic is that since the voltage changes, it is connected in series, so the charge is same. So I solved for Q for the first one and used it to plug solve for C for the second one. It is wrong, please help. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the charge is conserved, it just gets distributed across the two capacitors insead of the one. What is the value of charge you got for the first single cap?

But also don't think of the caps as being in series in this problem. They are in parallel for the purposes of figuring out what the final voltage is...

The charge for the first single cap is .0001 C

what's next?

You tell me. When two capacitors are connected in parallel, and they have that charge distributed across them, and the resulting voltage is 4V, then what is the total capacitance of the parallel combination? And what does that tell you for the value of the 2nd capacitor?

since the voltage is 4 V and the charge is .0001 then the total capacitance would be .000025 F. Since it's parallel C eq = C1 +C2. so C2 s 15 uF. I got it now, thank you.

FAQ: Solve 10.0 µF Capacitor Problem: Find Value of C

What is the formula for calculating the value of a 10.0 µF capacitor?

The formula for calculating the value of a capacitor is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is Farad (F).

How do I find the value of C for a 10.0 µF capacitor?

To find the value of C, you will need to know the charge and voltage of the capacitor. Once you have this information, simply plug them into the formula C = Q/V and solve for C.

What is the significance of the value of a capacitor?

The value of a capacitor determines its ability to store and release electrical energy. A higher capacitance value means the capacitor can store more energy, while a lower value means it can store less energy.

What factors can affect the value of a 10.0 µF capacitor?

The value of a capacitor can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the dielectric material used. Additionally, any damage or wear to the capacitor can also alter its value.